Phase Linear 700B power transistors upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My AR10PI are 4ohm and below 90dB/W/m....and PL700 is ok with such load. Of course it is warm. What about Pass amps? Are those amps cool? Class A and cool? Most of PL700 died when used to drive double 18'' subs ......and so on. And what sense make to talk about SE tube amp and horn speakers and PL700 at the same sentence? To connect PL700 to some Lowther? Well...
And one more thing about Bob...
Later he designed some other amps. What about PT2400? Do you think it can drive 4ohm load? What about to compare it with SE 300B amp. Is it 300B more powerful? Can it drive Lowther horns? Wow let's try....
So much about 700b transistor upgrade...
Regards

I heard the AR10PI, my friend has a pair connected to a conrad johnson tube amp, those are some nice sounding speakers for there era, they really got a good bottom end and warm midrange, the highs are really bright. Im sure your PL700 has no problem driving those.

a_RS4.jpg

:eek: Almost 6 feet tall 30" wide and 300lbs

I think the 700 won't last 10 minutes on these, planar drivers and 4 - 12" dual wound voice coils with a minimum of 100 watts, these things eat amps. Only transistor amp that lasted with these was the Crown PSA. These are current hogs and any good transient shorts the transistors rite away.. Played 1812 Overture with a usher 250w amp and when the cannons shot on the second one the amp went POOF! What I think it is the power supplies cant supply the current and the transistors die trying.
So I use a pair of 400w tube amps, they are as realistic as actually being in a concert hall, its hard to keep pictures on the walls they go down to 24hz and as high as 40k. So its hard to compare some of these modern speakers to these, so now you now my reasons for not being a SS guy.
Trust me if I can find a speaker as good as these in a smaller more efficient package Id have some SS gear.
I thought about the Pass gear, Paul McGowen really nice guy, teamed up with Artie Nudell who created these Infinity monsters. Met both of them. Artie sold infinity to Harmon Kardon and started Genesis technologies where he took his infinity designs and used them in the Genesis line. Really beautiful speakers but another power hungry speaker. Paul actually makes the amps to drive his line and the servo controls for the woofers and DACs.

Sorry misspelled, Arnie Nudell and Paul Mcgowan...
A Success Story Continues ....

Genesis is world renowned for bringing maximum performance, top quality, and beauty into the home of the audio connoisseur. It has its roots back to 1967, with two visionaries: Arnie Nudell and John Ulrick who formed Infinity Systems and developed the servo-bass system and the Servo-Statik I.
In the 70's Infinity developed EMIT and EMIM ribbon technology, and the Infinity Reference Standard™. The IRS marked the beginning of the true high-end loudspeaker. Many proud owners still use their IRS after more than 30 years!
In 1991, Mr Nudell founded Genesis Technologies and launched with new tweeter design - a circular ribbon tweeter that had a diaphragm that is 10 times thinner than a single strand of human hair, and moving mass that is less than the air in front of it.
The Genesis One launched in 1993 established new world standards in sonic performance beyond even the IRS - with detail retrieval so stunning that you can often hear the performers breathing; with such true three-dimensional imaging that the listener is virtually brought in the presence of the musicians; and a dynamic range so wide that it will take your breath away.
In 2002, another visionary, Gary Leonard Koh, established Genesis Advanced Technologies, and went on to design and build its best quality yet. The new company married the high sonic performance standards of the old Genesis with style and elegance. In 2003, with the launch of the Genesis 6-series system, it won the prestigious Design and Engineering Award given by the Consumer Electronics Association, and praise from Architectural Digest as "Fidelity meets Style" - a stunning visual statement that you don't need to hide in the wall. It also garnered effusive praise for its sonic performance in an extensive review in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.
Style and beauty took a step forward with the showing of a conceptual prototype in 2005 to take design and style beyond anything ever seen before in loudspeaker design. It was hailed as "American sound with Italian style" by the European hifi press.
The limited edition Genesis vacuum tube amplifiers launched in 2006 were acclaimed by dealers, customers, and the press as "reference quality" despite the affordable prices. Designed to drive any of the Genesis loudspeaker models, they were coveted by owners of loudspeakers that are reputed to be difficult to drive. They quickly sold out, with many of them taking residence in the middle of high-end systems displacing larger, more expensive and more powerful amplifiers. It was proof of concept that a reasonably priced, well-engineered and well-executed amplifier could deliver all the reliability, fidelity, and drive for musical reproduction.
As we move forward, the company continues to innovate in technology as well as design; focusing on both form and function as we move towards luxury goods that you would be proud to own.

Nice speakers..hehe
Just to tease you....
Because you love Bob Carver so much, what about Silver Seven?
And now something serious.
I don't know how much power you need but modern SS amps can deliver whatever you want. From a few watts to a few kW so I'm sure that there must be something what can possibly drive those speakers. If doubt that such great speakers can't be powered by some modern SS amp. And once again PL700 is almost 40 years old....
So if you doubt than buy something from Crown (MA5002vz) for an example or from Powersoft and listen how cannons will shoot. It will be probably the last thing which you will hear from those beautiful speakers.
And the last thing. Because this thread is about PL700 transistor upgrade so we write here completely wrong things....so..
If you like your PL than keep it. If not than sell it or throw it away or whatever. I like mine and it serves me very good.
Oh btw. I replaced all those XPL o/p devices with MJ15024 ON Semi. And match them. You can find interesting thread about curve tracer here.
Very best regards and happy listening, Taj

I know were getting off the subject of the Phase Linear..gotta source some other amps. I think the 700b had its time but alot of new topolgies out there and I need to research.. So with that being said does anyone want to buy this 700B, its not the PL...It works all the outputs were changed to MJ's and mica and I think I have all the components for the driver board and a **** load of new output transistors...the amp is clean and in great shape. I wanna get 300 mainly because the new electronic cost me over 250. but you have to pay shipping if not local. Im at 07026 if you want to check shipping costs and of course if you want the insurance. If you want I can reply with so pictures... Thxs everybody..:wave:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.