pg. 208 Stereophile mag Oct 2007 Industry Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must admit I tap danced to keep the shoes clean. I consider something like a cathode follower, in which the 'return signal' interacts only with the generating amplification device 'local degeneration', any topology in which the correcting signal straddles more than a single active device as loop feedback. Global feedback loops all active devices. The secondary loaded cathode is an interesting side case. I also agree that seeing feedback everywhere (one big argument involved the notion a triode is really a pentode with high internal feedback), while it may have some insights, robs the word 'feedback' of any differentiating power. For me it always brought to mind the old Sixties notion of everyone as artist. If true, 'artist' no longer describes a subset of people and loses most of its power. What do we call Mozart then? I really can't disagree with anything you wrote, though it's certain many will.

My interest was much more prosaic though. Coming from glass where many devices have very high inherent linearity I was impressed at the 'no feedback' numbers you quoted and wondered whether that meant no 'local degeneration' as well. The question probably wasn't helped by a naturally dry writing style. :snoopy:

Status
Not open for further replies.