PEERLESS XLS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ruferto,

I just noticed you made the internal width 26cmm, the driver O.D. is listed by the manufacturer as 270mm. The driver does obviously fit into the 32cm dimension, but then the internals would be more difficult to design and build. I would recommend, that you add 15mm for an internal width of 275mm (at least).

Regards,

DTS-20 Inspired HT Subwoofer

Hi ruferto,

For a HT subwoofer using the 830452 I was not quite able to stick to your dimensions, I ended up with 170.2cm x 31.6cm x 43.6 cm (external).

I picked the DTS-20 by Tom Danley as inspiration. The fold starts from a small throat chamber through a rectangular opening (S2) into the horn and then goes up. At the top of the first run the fold bifurcates, and turns back down, at the bottom of the enclosure the two ducts combine (S3) into one duct that runs back up to the top of the box, then goes forward (horizontally), and turns downward to meet the driver at S4. The fold continues downward to the bottom of the enclosure, where it turns forward to the mouth (S5). There is an empty section (shaded) that could be used to house the 1/4 wave resonator to attenuate the peak @ 75.2Hz (114cm).

All walls are 18mm (.709") with the exceptions of: the dividers and the back of the internal chamber with the bifurcations 12mm (.472"). With an internal width of 28mm (11") this should be all the bracing this enclosure needs, naturally some additional bracing from the mouth to the driver cannot hurt. Corner deflectors, e.g.: in the top corners would probably not hurt anything either, as there are numerous duct sections of similar length.

Anyway, this should give you something to think about.

Regards,

Attachments

• 830452_HT_144_ltr_SPL_Input_small.jpg
    830452_HT_144_ltr_SPL_Input_small.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 668
  • 830452_HT_144_ltr_dwg.pdf
    15.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Do I have to make a ring for the xls, so it does not knock the throat ?
Today i put the xls in a closed 18L box, just to "see". not quite what i was expecting, to intrusive and loose bass :bawling:.
I think I have run it a few hours to make it stiffer, I think .

And the amp that I use is a 4 X tda7294 In BTL mode - do not trust the amp –

What kind of amplification do you use?

Regards,
Ruferto

Hi ruferto,

"...Do I have to make a ring for the xls, so it does not knock the throat ?..." That is a detail you will have to work out, even a square plate would work. You will also have to add an access lid to get to the driver. As they say: "The devil in in the details." :) As to details, you may have noticed, that the Le in this simulations is 9.3mH instead of 4.5mH, but that is still in contention anyway. If you build this tapped horn you may have to add a series inductor to flatten the response.

I don't have any opinion as to the amplifer, after my last move I'm just trying to find one (any one, please).

I'm still sick with a cold, so I missused the time to make a simulation with the same general cabinet, but only 122cm high:

Regards,

Attachments

• 830452_HT_112_ltr_SPL_Input_small.jpg
    830452_HT_112_ltr_SPL_Input_small.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 830452_HT_112_ltr_dwg.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 97
The peerless XLS 10 is a ten inch driver, it might be the 830452 model he has? i have a couple of them. I think they are designed for use in a small enclosure, with a passive radiator.

Right! They go down to 20Hz by simply using the peerless application note available on the net. Unfortunately, the passive radiator is hard to get. SPL well be limited to 20 Hz @ 105dB @ 300W, the Xmax will limit low-frequency playback. See my subwoofer below:

Attachments

• XLS10_usd_small.jpg
    XLS10_usd_small.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 575
  • XSL10_front.jpg
    XSL10_front.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 562
TH Spud Clonne using 2* peerless 830452

Hey guys, so I had a couple of 830452 being used in the passive radiator design and thought I'd knock up the TH using the Spud like designs floating round.

Here's the measurements taken outside, but in a small courtyard, at about 1meter.

See attachment.

Attachments

• TH_Spud_Clone_Peerless_830452.png
    TH_Spud_Clone_Peerless_830452.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 286
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.