Peerless (India) Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a small volume sealed sub. (Small is important for maximum wife compatibility.)

Since I am in India wondering what drivers I could use. 8" 10"?

Has anyone used Peerless India drivers for a sub? Any good?
Any other suggestions for something available locally?

It would be used with music most of the time. I am not looking for just hi spl for home theatre.

Dainty ?

Don't forget to look at the Chinese Dainty sub-woofers.They are affordable and their specs look OK for your application. If the specs are reasonably close to the published figures they might be better than Boltons or the local Peerless. I guess the ( Peerless India) export variety may meet the specs.
I was told that a new range of Taiwanese drivers will come into the market in June or July.

Check the forum for the Dainty specs :http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=352717#post352717

Cheers.

Dainty

Well the Boltons I definitely wont look at. Any known dealer for the Daintys on Lamington Road? Most vendors seemed to have just one or two models.

Dev (Lamington Road) seems to have lots of Peerless in stock. 8" sub was Rs. 860... But u got to buy a pair.

Thanks for the pointer to the Dainty specs. the shops just sell em by size :xeye:

Well i have got the data sheet of Peerless India speaker range. I am looking for a 3 way floor standers.. There are a couple of 10" woofer models, im sure u can use them as subs.

Well even im looking for variety of LS distributors in Mumbai only if they are professionals.

Vivek - buy drivers

Vivek said:
Hi,
Is there any place I can buy them right now?

Vivek

Vivek if you want them in Bangalore I can help. Can send them there if its just a few. Will have to check with my cousin though as to when he can have them pick them up from here.

If you tell me what u are looking for I will check availability and post back here.

navin said:
if small is a criteria you can make a sub smaller by going isobarik. the VB will be little more than half that of a single driver sub.

going by reputation i'd look at Bolton before Peerless India and Dainty. Angshu might be able to help you there.

Navin, yes small is important to me.

Did'nt know Bolton had subs. Any model numbers?

Hi Flypig,
My Vifa 2 way system is not producing enough bass. So, I was thinking of an 8 inch woofer for the deep bass. I am experimenting with them to see if the bass can be improved.
Will the drivers be available for some time because I want to make sure adding them will give me better results. I am still in a fix whether to stick to the 2 way or go 3 way. I hope you understand.

Thanks,
Vivek

PS: The Bolton sub driver model number is 20SBW22.

Vivek said:
Hi Flypig,
My Vifa 2 way system is not producing enough bass. So, I was thinking of an 8 inch woofer for the deep bass. I am experimenting with them to see if the bass can be improved.
Will the drivers be available for some time because I want to make sure adding them will give me better results. I am still in a fix whether to stick to the 2 way or go 3 way. I hope you understand.

Thanks,
Vivek

PS: The Bolton sub driver model number is 20SBW22.

Vivek,

As I told you off line, as per the model the TC18 will give you adequate bass in a 2 way system. Please try and make the box as per the model, it will be bit large, and you do not mind it, do the correct port tuning and you should get good results. Since you have already purchased the Vifa drivers it is best to experiment as per the design rules.

Bolton makes quite a few 10 inch 12 inch sub woofers. The fs is in the range of 27-29Hz, but the Q is quite high, above 0.6. I would prefer the Peerless India drivers, but supply is so erratic, where as you are assured delivery of the Bolton drivers.

Angshu

High Q drivers.

Angshu,
That comment about the high Q drivers caught my attention.
You seem to have a lot of experience with Bolton drivers.

Can you recommend any Bolton 12 or 15 inch drivers ( model numbers) that have high Q in the range of 0.7 to 1.2 . Have you any experience with 12 and 15 inch drivers available in Delhi ( Chandni Chowk area)? I saw some very nice looking 15 inch woofers for about Rs1,800/- a couple of years ago.
Thanks.
Ashok.

angshudas said:
As I told you off line, as per the model the TC18 will give you adequate bass in a 2 way system.

there are 3 ways 2 use the TC18.

in small aperiodic sealed box (20L) with a 8" for the bass (40L).
in a large box (55L)
in a 2.5 way using 2 TC18s. The 2.5 way can also mean that the box size for both drivers need not be the same. I do recomend that in a 2.5 way the box for each driver be seperate. Dave (plante 10) would also recomend push-push. I asume a box about 70L would be adequate for 2 x TC18.

either way your box would be about 60-70L.

angshudas said:

I would prefer the Peerless India drivers, but supply is so erratic, where as you are assured delivery of the Bolton drivers.

Angshu

Well if someone wants Peerless in Delhi / Bangalore I can try and find drivers and get them to you. (assuming my cousins are willing to be couriers ;) )

Can say how fast I can get them to u, but will definitely make the effort.

Navin,

in a 2.5 way using 2 TC18s. The 2.5 way can also mean that the box size for both drivers need not be the same. I do recomend that in a 2.5 way the box for each driver be seperate. Dave (plante 10) would also recomend push-push. I asume a box about 70L would be adequate for 2 x TC18.

I would love to try this but some of the other guys on the forum told me that a 2.5 way will have 4 ohm nominal impedance for the woofer that handles the lower frequencies. I am just terrified that my Denon receiver will blow up. The specs for the receiver say 6 to 16 ohm speakers only. I know the impedance will not remain the same but still the receiver cost me an arm and a leg.

Angshu,

As I told you off line, as per the model the TC18 will give you adequate bass in a 2 way system. Please try and make the box as per the model, it will be bit large, and you do not mind it, do the correct port tuning and you should get good results. Since you have already purchased the Vifa drivers it is best to experiment as per the design rules.

I am trying out various things to see if there is improvement.

Vivek

TS parameters of Peerless India drivers as supplied by the distributor.

TS parameters of 8inch woofer 8ohms (SKO-204WFR)

Fs=40Hz
P=75W
Sensitivity, E=92dB

V.C. dia=25mm
V.C. height=9.5mm
Air gap=5mm

Re=6.19ohms

Cms=0.78mm/N
Mms=17.8g

Qms=4.23
Qes=0.47
Qts=0.43

Vas=58.2L

S=230.6sq.cm

Request Mr. Vinod or Mr. Dilip Devjani of Dev Electronics(Peerless India dealer), Shop no.63, 1st flr, Rajesh bldg, opp. Lamington Rd Police stn., Mumbai-7 for a getting the spec sheets photocopied.

Attn.
Bolton and Dainty dealers supply TS parameters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.