Peerless 830668 10"s bi-amped music only system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't tried the 830668 but my guess is that being a subwoofer, it is probably more optimized for the lower frequencies like in the 30-40Hz region. Great for movies but I find such drivers unsuitable for music. There's no punch and definition in the midbass.

For music, my preference is to use a woofer instead of a subwoofer. With the right woofer, it's possible to achieve a good balance between the low bass (40-50Hz) and the midbass (90-200Hz).

One such woofer is the 8" Usher 8137A. I have it in a 25L 3-way ported box. Very dynamic, punchy bass. If you prefer 10", check out SB Acoustics. I haven't tried them but judging from the specs, they have some models that look promising.

Regards
Mike

I'm going to stick with this driver. The problem was definitely over stuffing.

Do you have measurements of results?

Regards,

Andrew

I added back some light stuffing and took SPL readings.
Here are some measurements.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Testing procedure used:

-Created sine wav mp3 files at -6db down.
-Bypassed dbx 120A and DEQ2496.
-Played music at usual level (about 72db dbA slow response)
-Then logged these SPL readings in room at ear level with REED ST-805 SPL meter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.