Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BTW, have any of you tried the VPI Periphery Outer Ring Clamp?

It won't work with my Linn... as most such devices really over damp the Linn sound.... but I figure those of you with the big torque Technics might want to check it out. It seems to flatten the record very nicely... it does need a 12" platter with a vertical edge. I don't know if it'll fit onto those platters with angled strobe markings.

The result of 2 hours record flattening (54 C) of the CASH record was that the edge wrap was significantly reduced and could be played back without problems. To test the concept I will try with 2 hour 10 min. It is suggested to stop when play back is without degradation of the sound. So if it was not for testing the tool to see how it is after round no. 2 I would have stopped and accepted a slight edge warp. Cool down period is approx. 45 min.

Just reading some of the posts, so don't know if anyone mentioned Last Record Preservative. I love this stuff, they make some pretty hard to believe claims but in practice it is outstanding. Not only does it help preserve a record, and I have extreme cases of albums that have been used at Natural Sound from prior to 1987 that we still demo, though they do show the signs of not always being handled quite properly :nownow: . The other thing that I have found is that on some records with a fair amount of noise, even after a good cleaning, it can knock the noise down considerably.

In regards to their claims, they say that it penetrates the vinyl about 8-10 molecules, IIRC, and protect for over 200 plays. Back in the early 80's Peter Moncrieff published a magazine, International Audio Review, which was based primarily on engineering and measurements. I have a copy, #5, from 1980 he discusses primarily LP issues including a lengthy review of Last Preservative. Its been a while since I read it but as I recall one part was done at a Boston Audio Society meeting, in which they had 2 new copies of a Shure TTR-103 distortion test record. They first played each and measured, then Lasted the 1 that didn't measure quite as well. "spurious distortion...reduced dramatically", there are graphs and I suppose if pressed I could scan them in. He gets pretty deep into the science(?) of it and ultimately Loves Last. The rest of the magazine is chalk full of Peter's insight into all things vinyl.

Actually had to refer back to the article for the quote, my memory sucks at best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wow.... that's a trip back.

Yes, I used to have Last. And I have records that I bought in the 70s, and were so treated, that are very clean today.

BUT, I've always cleaned my records (*), used a Discwasher and later a VPI vacuum machine. So, I can't tell you if Last did anything to them, but for sure it didn't hurt them.

(*) When I was in Hawai'i I read that our tap water was the best in the nation and clean enough to use in a car's battery. So I used to wash my records in the tub with half a tub of water and a capful of Ivory Snow detergent, then I'd rinse them in running water and air dry them on a rack. Left very clean records!

Reactions: 1 users
Is it this stuff?
Yup!

One bottle will treat about 85-95 LPs, both sides, they do have larger sizes available. A word of caution, actually several words, it is suspended in a Freon base solution so you want to minimize how long the bottle is exposed to air. They include 2 micro droppers to apply the liquid to their applicator brush, after getting an appropriate amount of fluid in the bulb the tendency is to lift it straight up out of the bottle, and turn it over. This will cause fluid to squirt out of the dropper. Initially I tried bending the dropper as I withdrew it, but this caused a crack in the plastic. Now I partially tip the bottle and angle the dropper out which works well.

I want to stress the albums that we use for demos at Natural Sound, that I referred previously, have been played and abused countless times.

Reactions: 2 users
When I was in Hawai'i I read that our tap water was the best in the nation and clean enough to use in a car's battery. So I used to wash my records in the tub with half a tub of water and a capful of Ivory Snow detergent, then I'd rinse them in running water and air dry them on a rack. Left very clean records!
Okay, now that's a bit over the top :rofl:

BUT, I've always cleaned my records (*), used a Discwasher and later a VPI vacuum machine. So, I can't tell you if Last did anything to them, but for sure it didn't hurt them.
It did, until recently the majority of my LPs were cleaned w/ a VPI 16.5 prior to Last, sometimes I would Vacuum, listen, Last & listen, most of the time the Last provided noticeable benefits.

While waiting for Santa Claus I decided to cut some mu-metal foil to add some extra magnetic shielding for the small 20 VA P3 PSU transformer.
It is a Toridy and has already a magnetic shield. But I thought it could not "hurt" (unless you cut your fingers on foil.....but did not so far).
Then I also found a bolt (+shims) with correct diameter and length for the build. Just such a small task can take some time :)

Attachments

• DSC_4410.JPG
    DSC_4410.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 44
Prince was mentioned some posts back. A discussion about mainstream / pop vs. more "advanced" music like e.g. Jazz etc.
Prince is probably "mainstream / pop" and not something I was listening to. I was more listening to rock, heavy rock or classical.
There was one Prince track I could like to listen to back then and especially a version with a lot of "wild" guitar. I think this is the best representation for this well known "pop song".

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I played Prince's Purple Rain a couple of weeks back. It's an original LP, vacuum cleaned...

I love the song but the LP leaved a bit, ahem!, something to be desired. The individual instruments, some of them, were well recorded... guitar, lead voice, and so on... BUT taken as a whole, the presentation did not preserve individual instrument lines in the aggregate... that is, when the music got complicated with plenty of instruments and voices, the background lines sort of congealed into a "blob"... I blame this on:

(1) Bad producing.
(2) The P3 being a bit more ruthless on getting what's on the groove than the P2. The latter is more benign towards bad recordings.

The live album above consist of 3 LP's.
Live recordings can be very good but also very bad.
After I have verified I can make LP's flat if they are warped I took the chance and ordered a set of new pressings from the internet.
I need to buy 5 items to get free shipping from this specific internet shop.
I ended up putting the above 3 set LP's in the basket. I have never thought this would happen that I ever would buy a Prince LP :)

It is difficult when purchasing at the internet if there is a brand new pressing and then a vintage in let us say EX condition. Which to select?
Price was about the same (a Stevie Ray Vaughan record). Think the vintage was a bit higher price. I selected the new pressing hoping they did a good job.
I am not a record collector. I just want the best quality possible. Record experts can look at the number and where it is made to make a good guess if it could be a good pressing or not.

I also purchased a book about "vinyl". It is Danish. It says something like "everything to know about Vinyl".

1703445749039.png

I just looked at the local 2nd HiFi market and found this old (about 1990 or so) preamp. Model called Gryphon XT MC (MC Riaa built in).
It should be in full working condition. I think I could get it for about $2000 if I made an offer. But now I go with Pearl3!
I think the below was considered "high-end" at the time it was at the market. I am sure very high price level (Gryphon is not cheap HiFi).
Now he writes it works 100% but it could be a funny DIY-job exchanging all the small red capacitors (to what? .....Panasonic FM? ).
RCA connectors should be WBT. 100% dual mono. To my eye it looks good.

I wonder which grounding scheme they used. It is claimed to be silent. There is a lot of talk about ground scheme in the moment. I wonder if this will result in a version 1.0c of P3 build instruction? .....or maybe a version 1.1 ?

1703447085405.png

1703447155821.png

I have prepared the connectors for the power cable between the two P3 chassis (PSU / Riaa).
I want to transfer V+, V-, Gnd, SE (green / yellow). Then female chassis connector in PSU end and male chassis connector in Riaa end.
So 4-pole Neutrik XLR "hardware". I have just put them into the basket but not ordered it yet. Then the two connectors for the cable.

1703455819489.png