Pearl3 project made me purchase a TT and a new rack!

An you will of course also need this carbon fiber Diamond Tooth Brush. 🙂

IMG_5410.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I will strongly and repeatedly recommend getting ANY ultrasonic record cleaner. They are unquestionably superior, vastly better than every other method.

Also, clean your new records… they are dirtier than you expect.

Reactions: 4 users
Nice record you got there. Whitney could reach quite high vocals.
Think I have decided for a ultrasonic cleaner. Then I can use the cleaner itself for other purpose. I have wanted one for a long time for generel cleaning. This one is just a standard cleaner with attachment for cleaning vinyls and not expensive:
https://eur.vevor.com/s/VEVOR-Ultrasonic-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner

The two records at picture (one double album) are both brand new and never played / opened. Both has still the cellophane on.
The left a new recording pressed at Nordsø (1. press). The other an original NOS from 1989. I am not a Prince fan but I think I can live with some of the tracks and just interesting to try out a brand new NOS record. 500 was purchased and sent to Candy when it was released so I think those are 1. press also. Only very few are left at Candy. The left one I listened to at Candy (a similar demo vinyl just opened) and it is a very good recording and press. I am not a Laid Back fan either but I think I can adapt a bit to new music.

In the Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 box there is also a needle brush as shown above :)

Attachments

• DSC_4334.JPG
    DSC_4334.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 47
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I will strongly and repeatedly recommend getting ANY ultrasonic record cleaner. They are unquestionably superior, vastly better than every other method.

Also, clean your new records… they are dirtier than you expect.

Can you please start a forum and/or a thread on LP cleaners? I've read about quite a few DIY ultrasonic setups. I've had the vacuum machine for years but, as you note, the ultrasonic cleaning setups have grown by leap and bounds in the 20+ years I've had my LP "Hoover"....

A nice thing about those is that it is only the fluid that has physical contact with the records.
I have ordered one.
I also found a receipt on cleaning fluid (1 L):
900 ml distilled water + 100 ml Isopropanol + 2 drops dishwasher soap + 2 drops "surface breaking fluid".

Don't know that you call this "surface braking fluid". It is used in dishwashers to avoid water drops on the surfaces (e.g. on glass).

So very interested in that table. Is that the Miracord 90?? If so what is the pricing on that? Or pricing on whatever it is.
Yes, that is the Miracord 90 (anniversary). It is not produced anymore. The current top-model is the 80. Despite its 10" arm (vs. 9" for the 90) I see the 80 as a slightly downgraded version of the 80 (it is few kg lighter). I like the 90 has integrated head shell.

I think the pricing here in DK is a bit higher than in US due to various taxes. The 90 comes with a special made Audio Technica MM cartridge. I wanted the Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 so they made a special offer with this cartridge so I got it at same price. I got it for about 2600 Euro's.

A nice thing about those is that it is only the fluid that has physical contact with the records.

Yes that is true, and thats a good thing. No added scratches. 🙂

But that does not mean that the Ultrasonic cleaning method is a guaratee against complete vinyl LP destruction- If overdone. Cavitation even has got the power to break down metal surfaces…

So use it (a ultrasonic cleaner) with common sense and respect.

https://sonicsolutionsltd.com/does-ultrasonic-cleaning-work-with-plastics/

”The effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning on plastic materials depends on the type of plastic being cleaned. Plastic is not the most favourable material for ultrasonic cleaning. There will always be cleaning action taking place in the tank, but how effective it is depends on the density of the plastic.

Ultrasonic cleaning works better on harder plastics like ether ketone (PEEK) and most thermoplastics as they can withstand the high-frequency sound waves produced during the cleaning process without undergoing any damage or losing their properties but there are still limitations.”

Yes, water can do a lot of damage. Especially under high pressure.
The reviews are good so I take the chance.

By the way I was invited here at Saturday to look at 1. pressings etc.....and how they work:
I guess not many can understand what he is telling (I can!.....and probably Swedish people can understand a bit :) ).

I have one more pressing to listen to when I get a riaa, record brush, record cleaner. Mint record. I gave it a new inner sleve. Not an album I was familiar with before I got it presented few days ago and it sounded really good:

1699301097127.jpeg

1699301158424.jpeg

🙂 Well, i can somewhat good enough understand the Danish talk in the video.

It seems very much a manual process to press those vinyl records. It becomes obvious that VERY much can go wrong…

And it is all for nothing, how good and skilled the LP pressing is beeing done, if the studio mix and recordings are flat, thin and weak: Then there is no rescue.

To me it is the actual musicality and sound of the sound mix that is the main thing, if it then is delivered digital or analogue is secondary.🎺🙂👍🎸

Reactions: 1 user
I had a fun and interesting visit at Nordsø Records. It is only approx. 4 km from where I live.
I got some more Records for my new "collection". Some images attached from the visit. I think it is me looking at the records at one picture.
They also have a small stage and a band was setting up equipment for a small live concert during the evening.
The Technics TT on one picture is rebuilt to be able to direct cut a record. It is used for special occasions. E.g. if a band want a record from a live concert.
I think the Brinkmann TT is sponsored. They are involved in some of the recordings. I guess it is more expensive than my new TT and also has a bit more weight to it........I think I would have accepted a "swap"......

One of the records I got (a double album) is a pure analog recording using vintage equipment. Studer C-37.....with tubes....
It was recorded here (video) and pressed at Nordsø:

The microphone used for the lady singer could look like a Telefunken U-47?
If it is it is probably an original and not one of the "cheap" replicas you can buy today?

I continue learning.......learned a lot since I got the idea to built a P3 (I have learned that it is quite easy to spend money).

Attachments

• 20231111_164613_01.JPG
    20231111_164613_01.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20231111_161809_01.JPG
    20231111_161809_01.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20231111_155144_01.JPG
    20231111_155144_01.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20231111_153159_01.JPG
    20231111_153159_01.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20231111_150634_01.JPG
    20231111_150634_01.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 74
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some images attached from the visit. I think it is me looking at the records at one picture.
It looks like you had a wonderful visit! What an amazing place!

Wait...you can't tell if it's you looking at the records? :)

I believe that's a Brinkmann Bardo direct drive turntable with the standard power supply. (IIRF there's an 'upgrade' supply using tube rectifiers.) A very cute table indeed. The platter is quite heavy and unlike the more traditional DD tables (like the Technics, which starts on a dime), the Bardo takes maybe 15 seconds to spin up.

It is me looking at records!
It is a nice place!

In 2019 Brinkmann had a project together with the jazz triplet "Blicher Hemmer Gadd". Don't know how well-known they are among people. At least the drummer is well-known. They made a record called Special 33. 500 was made and first 33 signed and sold together with an expensive Brinkmann TT. A bit info here:

As I am big fan of BHG I asked several times if they could find a sample for me. But it was sold out many years ago. But I was lucky.....they found one or two. I could select between a "normal" and a signed. I selected the signed and I am now happy. I picked it up this morning.

Brinkmann seems to like 140g records as the platter has a "shape" and a clamp where 140g records "fits" better after it has been clamped (I don't know 100% the details about this).

I have read about the special Brinkmann tube based PSU for their TT's. Also a "heavy" price tag......on those.

@JeyDee:
Yes I have looked at that test record. Maybe I will get one to test the setup of my cartridge/system.
I have got a record brush but the Ortofon looks ok. I have also got a clamp to play with.

I got an advice how to check for vibrations. If the cartridge is placed on a record (without spinning). Then turn up the volumen and listen to the speakers if e.g. mechanical hum is going into the TT or other "sounds". Best if it is total silent. Maybe a well-known trick but I am still learning.

Attachments

• DSC_4343_01.JPG
    DSC_4343_01.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 user
I am preparing my system for a TT + Riaa setup. I get a Nad riaa Sunday and will use that until I have built a P3.
I will use Whammy after the Riaa (pictured) to be able to regulate the volumen. From Whammy to fixed 12 dB IronPre and from there to LSB source followers.
As Whammy has 6.3mm TRS out only I built a Y-cable for it but it is a bit short for the new setup. I was lazy and ordered a 1m Mogami Y-cable with Neutrik connectors! .......Y-cable has a very audiophile name......but that was not the reason I got it. I made a google search and the Mogami was the only I experienced that looks like good quality (connectors etc.). I am sure there are others......

Attachments

• DSC_4345.JPG
    DSC_4345.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 27
There will not be time for vinyl this weekend.
I am preparing a wine-dinner for Sunday. One of the guests brings a Nad riaa.
Wines pictured (they will be tasted blind). There is one 100p Parker among them and we shall see if anybody can taste it!
For dessert a chocolate cake (with almost 0.5 kg 70% Valrhona chocolate). It has to settle a couple of days cooled down.
So Sunday music will be streaming. Usually some music quiz guessing. That it not so easy using TT :) ....but it can be done.....done that before.

Attachments

• DSC_4346.JPG
    DSC_4346.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_4348.JPG
    DSC_4348.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_4347.JPG
    DSC_4347.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: 1 users