Pearl Two

In the end, enjoying your music is what it's all about. If for instance an AT95e does the trick for you, that's perfectly fine. Saves you money to buy more vinyl... Once you've reached a certain quality level, the returns on investment (sound-quality wise) will be diminishing.

One more thing: the Pearl II is a better phono stage than the Project phono box 2 SE that he used to make these files. So differences between carts may be more pronounced.

Last edited:
Finally after 18 months I'm getting somewhere with my pearl 2 .
I have a clear signal out of one channel using the balance control ,but when I turn all the way to the left channel I get a distorted ,but audio signal out of the right channel .

This only happens with my phono. Any ideas or similar experiences ?

Voltages are within spec .

Rich

Hi Rich,
welcome to the club! Yeah, I am having similar experiences. I've been fiddling around with the Pearl 2 now more than a year and only have a very faint signal on both channels - strange that this happens on both channels at the same time. I made myself an "inverse RIAA" stage and checking the signal throughput with a signal generator and a small "inverse RIAA" signal, so that it simulates a MC cartridge, but so far no clue where the problem is. I re-soldered all pins again but that does not seem to be the problem. Voltages are also in range according to Waynes schematic. Anybody an idea what else to check?
Thanks
Poli

Hi 6L6 ,

I have changed cartridge . I'll check all the voltages again in the morning .
Just strange that distorted sound migrates from left channel to the other when the balance control is all the way to the left . The boards are separate -no physical way to short ????

Anyway , hope you and yours are well ;)

Hi Rich,
welcome to the club! Yeah, I am having similar experiences. I've been fiddling around with the Pearl 2 now more than a year and only have a very faint signal on both channels - strange that this happens on both channels at the same time. I made myself an "inverse RIAA" stage and checking the signal throughput with a signal generator and a small "inverse RIAA" signal, so that it simulates a MC cartridge, but so far no clue where the problem is. I re-soldered all pins again but that does not seem to be the problem. Voltages are also in range according to Waynes schematic. Anybody an idea what else to check?
Thanks
Poli

I had one channel with a lot of noise (but also music) and changing out the ZVP3310 worked. Voltages were OK, but somehow the ZVP3310 wasn't. Have you put a jumper in the location of R15?

I had one channel with a lot of noise (but also music) and changing out the ZVP3310 worked. Voltages were OK, but somehow the ZVP3310 wasn't.

What clued you that ZVP3310 was bad? Did you measure ~ 10 mA current going into per Wayne's voltages diagram?

I used 10R instead of 10K on R7, R8 and R10. I think I get carried away stuffing all the 10Rs. After replacing them, found out that Q1 and Q3 were bad. Waiting for an order of ZTX450s.:usd: I only ordered 10.