Pearl Two

I confess to a total lack of context for the "What signals are on records?" graph.

It's part of a technical paper written by the folks from Shure. The statement was made that a vinyl recording will rarely exceed 10mV, but the cartridge manufacturer took pains to demonstrate that levels in excess of 70mV "happen" and that the technology they develop is to encompass these extremes in mechanical terms.

So with regards to the Pearl2, the first stage certainly seems really fine for a moving coil cartridge, and with a moving magnet cart most of the time.

I am not too happy with the second stage...

I made a mistake earlier saying that the first stage gain is 40dB, on mine it's actually 40x

Hi everyone,
if I remember the Pearl 2 settings from Waynes notes correctly than Pearl 2 gain is:

1st stage gain (4 x 2SK170 JFETs + ZTX450 cascode) is roughly 35 dB.

Losses in passive RIAA are about 20 dB.

2nd stage gain as per schematic (R16+R14)/R14 is roughly 40 dB.

Total Pearl 2 gain by default should be 55 dB.

Cheers
Poli

Hi everyone,
if I remember the Pearl 2 settings from Waynes notes correctly than Pearl 2 gain is:

1st stage gain (4 x 2SK170 JFETs + ZTX450 cascode) is roughly 35 dB.

Cheers
Poli

The first stage gain will be proportionate to 1/(Rs +(1/gm)) of the SK170's. So if you have "lowish" JFETs the gain will be lower.

SK170's gm range from 0.018 to 0.042 Siemens.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Pearl 2 in Pesante Chassis

I built a Pearl 2 in one Pesante chassis trying to get it to fit in the shelf under the turntable. It resulted in no hum or noise at all. Here is some of what I did. I immediately went to a CRC to keep low voltage AC away. Put the inputs on the far side. From lessemf.com I bought a $30 gaussmeter to test for minumum emf. I also bought mucord from them and some mumetal sheets and foil (good source of small qts of mumetal). It turns out I did not need the mumetal for shielding. I used their mucord for AC in and DC to the boards. It did seem to lessen emf. I keep cables low as 6L6 suggested. From ground to earth I used just a 10R resistor and it worked great. I ran a wire from star earth to any panel without continuity. Notice the lid has a conductive copper tape with a wire soldered to it. The xformer is an Antek, either a 25VA 24VAC or a 50VA 22VAC. I cannot remember; I used whatever was in my parts bin.
The turntable is an air bearing Maplenoll which is very quiet to begin with, and a Denon DL-110. I cannot be happier with the sound. It is sooo....well..good (words cannot describe). My sincerest thanks to Wayne and Mr. Pass and 6L6 for the guide.

Attachments

• 20160424_181721.jpg
    20160424_181721.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 609
  • 20160424_181814.jpg
    20160424_181814.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 603
  • 20160424_181930.jpg
    20160424_181930.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 20160101_141339.jpg
    20160101_141339.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 564
Power Supply Caps - What are people using

I received my boards from Pass DIY and am collecting parts.
I have a good idea on most of the parts I want to use but am trying to figure out what E-caps to use in the PSU and on the board.

The choices are somewhat limited due to size constraints (diameter).
I'm leaning towards Nichicon LKG, LKS or UKW/KW.
Any suggestions or experiences with what people have used would be greatly appreciated.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Need some help, please.
One channel went dead (due to statics, I guess) and
I try to debug which part(s) went south.
Q1 or Q3 or both?
Fingers crossed it's not input fets.

Please, find the voltages of both working (left) and dead (right) channels attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.25.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.25.03 PM.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 453
Need some help, please.
Q1 or Q3 or both?

Please, find the voltages of both working (left) and dead (right) channels attached.

Hello Siberia,
My guess Q1 dead for sure. Not sure about Q2.
Change Q1 and power up to see if better. If not, change Q2 too.
Then re check again. If still nothing ok, might be the quad but unlikely

Best,

nAr

Need some help, please.

I just measured my Pearl
24.2 at collector of Q1,
20.5 at emitter of Q1
7.56 at base of Q3
6.87 at emitter of Q3
0.070 at source of JFETs

you have over 6.4mA flowing through the JFETs so you should be getting an output.

Isn't R10 supposed to be 10K?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jack,
Those wet slug tantalum capacitors are fantastic for small spaces, and excellent quality. You just need a bank loan to get a few. Last time I looked, they were running $35 and up a piece. Something you really ought to need rather than sprinkling them about in hopes of better sound.

They seem to last forever though, the one plus about caps of that cost.

-Chris

Hi Jack,
Those wet slug tantalum capacitors are fantastic for small spaces, and excellent quality. You just need a bank loan to get a few. Last time I looked, they were running $35 and up a piece. Something you really ought to need rather than sprinkling them about in hopes of better sound.

They seem to last forever though, the one plus about caps of that cost.

-Chris
The idea originates with the late Jim Williams:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an124f.pdf

Need some help, please.
Q1 or Q3 or both?

Hello Siberia,
My guess Q1 dead for sure. Not sure about Q2.
Change Q1 and power up to see if better. If not, change Q2 too.
Then re check again. If still nothing ok, might be the quad but unlikely

Best,

nAr

Similar experience. Right channel was perfect from get go, and Left worked just as well once Q3 ZVP450 was replaced. Vinyl joy until Right channel became noisy - sounds like curtains rustling - then died, came back and dead again. Approx 23v on the DC offset (ie way too high), 3.3v across R6 (cf 1.5v on working channel) and 9.3v between R6 and Q4 2SK370 (cf required 21v). Have replaced Q2 and Q11 to no avail. Q11 ZTK450 gets quite hot.

This is my first crack at solid state, more used to basic valve guitar amp builds. Would very much appreciate thoughts. I'm hoping it's not a JFET!