Pearl Two

Just ordered my boards with mosfets and power transformer. Mouser and RS parts orders to follow, enclosures eventually from HiFi 2000.

Having built solid state mic amps, tube guitar and bass amps, compressors and microphones I'm pretty excited to be building a phono stage.\

I've recently dusted off my systemdek and am having a great deal of fun working through my vinyl.

I'm hoping the Pearl lives up to my expectations. I somehow think it will lead to a rather lengthy upgrade path.

Thanks for your reply 6L6, very good to hear. I must say I've been through your build report a good number of times and found it very inspiring and helpful and, having read through the entire thread here I'm awed by the level of knowledge and expertise, and by the sheer generosity.

Can't wait to get started! And more so to get finished and hear that vinyl in a better light :)

Main PCB positioning

Thanks for the info Jim, good to know.

Is it possible to position the main (gain stage) PCB on top of each other with stand offs, then put the PSU in the far side of the box at the opposite end with some shielding/distance-, that way using 1 box and saving a bit of money- or is it false economy?

cheers Johnny

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Honestly the Pearl isn't truly quiet until the transformer is 3 feet (1M) away from the RIAA boards.

Make the PSU box ugly, so you are not tempted to show it off, and want to hide it far away from the system. :) That way it is a long distance from the RIAA.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That happens with all very low input signal and high gain devices. AC fields must be kept well away. Even if the main unit box is made by thick ferromagnetic material and the general grounding is done in the best way, the external signal cables are still susceptible.