• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
billbillw said:
Just wanted to mention that I've contacted Avel (by email) in the US to see if they sell directly and how much the actual 30V+30V, in a 30VA size, (Y236107 or D4007) would be in the US. Since its not really much different than the 15V+15V (30VA) that Parts Express sells, it might be quite a bit cheaper than buying two of the lower voltage ones.

OK,
For anyone else in the US who is building a Pearl, take note of this. Avel does sell direct to consumers. The price for the Y236107, which is equivalent to the D4007 originally mentioned in the Pearl writeup, is only $22.47 each + shipping. That is substantially cheaper than getting the Plitron shipped from Canada! Good luck to all!

pchw said:
Hi Bill,

Are you able to buy direct from Avel?

Thanks!!

Yes, Just as I posted above. Just do a phone order. They ship out quick. I received mine last week after only a few days from ordering.

I also received my Pearl Kit from Germany this weekend. Thanks again to Promethius for putting this all together. The parts were nicely sorted into different bags, matched parts were kept together with foil and/or tape. Overall, a very thoughtful job of packing and assembling the kit. It will definitely help when I got to start stuffing the boards.

culture said:
Hi All
But yesterday i was trying to figure out where to use the nice little black 100k resistor from the riaa pack, i presume it must be R24 since that resistor is mentioned in the riaa network description and most people seem to have used the nice little black one there aswell. Accept for Igreen, he has the nice little black one as r15 (see post 458). Don't know if this was already mentioned to him by someone or if it's any problem at all... but i thought lets mention it anyway.

c

Hi, I measured each resistor separately before I put it in to try and make the best matches. The Dale 100K measured closer to 100K than the 100K "nice little black" ones in my case so I used them in the RIAA network. Probably will not make a difference but at least that was my plan.
- lgreen

promitheus said:
I have had some requests for more KITs and I still had some parts and PCBs but uncompleted KITs laying around.

I finaly found time to match parts and put the last KITs together.

I have 15 KITs and some extra PCBS.
These will be the last available KITs from me so the first ones to order will also get them.

If you are interested please contact me for more details.

Greetings Promitheus

I know I'm a little late reading this tread, but if there are any sets left (even just the PCB's) then please let me know and I'l take a set.

Cheers

Paul

billbillw said:
The best bet is to send an email message directly to Promitheus. He usually responds within a few days and will let you know if he has any left.

I did that before I posted, but sadly nothing yet. Does anyone have a board layout/image? I could make the board myself, but I'm not so good at the layout side of things, so if someone has a layout I could use that would be grand.

Cheers,

Lee.

Thomo said:

I did that before I posted, but sadly nothing yet. Does anyone have a board layout/image? I could make the board myself, but I'm not so good at the layout side of things, so if someone has a layout I could use that would be grand.

Cheers,

Lee.

Give him some time. He travels and/or gets busy with work.

You could do your own boards, but make sure you can get your hands on the 2SK389BL FETs. They have practically disappeared from the market. Getting quad matched FETs for the initial gain stage is also not easy unless you can do it yourself with a large bin of parts.

Its worth holding out until you hear from Promitheus.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

Please forgive the dumb question, but now that I've finished assembling my Pearl / Ono phono preamplifier (astonishing, by the way), how do I calculate the resistive loading? I understand that the default is 47k (which is fine for my cartridge), but how do I calculate the resistive change if I toggle any of the resistors in the 2 banks into the circuit? Also, where do I measure that resistance?

Now that it works, I'd like to play a little and hear the impact. Your counsel (remember, you're talking to an uninformed geezer) would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

SRMcGee said:
Folks:

Please forgive the dumb question, but now that I've finished assembling my Pearl / Ono phono preamplifier (astonishing, by the way), how do I calculate the resistive loading? I understand that the default is 47k (which is fine for my cartridge), but how do I calculate the resistive change if I toggle any of the resistors in the 2 banks into the circuit? Also, where do I measure that resistance?

Now that it works, I'd like to play a little and hear the impact. Your counsel (remember, you're talking to an uninformed geezer) would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Do you have the basic Pearl, or did you do the MC pre addition too?

Resistive loading is recommended by the cartridge maker. Look up your specs.

The emptly slot for R1 is in parallel with the 47.5k, so just use this online calculator to figure out the unknown:
http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/calc/calcrsp.htm

You probably want to experiment with a few values and see what gives you the best sound.

MM cartridges require at least 47k loading and a special capacitive loading recommended by the manufacturer. For MMs the capacitive loading is the sensitive part which decides its performance. Always use the recommended capacitance otherwise you get a nonlinear frequency response. Mind you, the capacitance includes the capacitance of the cable from your turntable to your phono pre as well (usually something along 100pf/m).

MC are a completely different animal and require proper resistive termination.

All the best, Hannes

MM=moving magnet/moving iron/moving permalloy
MC=moving coil

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I have both the Pearl and the Ono (as mentioned in my previous post). The cartridge is a Lyra Lydian Beta. According to Lyra, the recommended load for the Lydian Beta is 100 to 47k ohms. I want to play a little with various loads but don't understand how to (1) calculate the impact of toggling any of the resistors in the banks on the Ono board or (2) how to measure the resistive load.

Can anyone offer a simple explanation to a simple guy?

Regards,
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.