Pearl enclosure and power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am wondering what type of enclosure is suggested for Pearl. I looked at Hammond cataloque (aluminum boxes) but couldn't find anything suitable. Any suggestions?
Second, can I increase value of the ps capacitors without compromising anything (or much). I am thinking of using 22000uF instead of suggested 10000uF in the power supply (fig 4 in the manual).

Thanks
Boban

Hi Boban,

I'm in Toronto as well, and have built a lot of electronics and speakers. I'd love to hear the Pearl (thinking of building it or the Ono). I can offer you some help, seems like this is the first time you've built something, and maybe then you'd let me use your Pearl in my system to test it?

What exactly did not work with the Hammond enclosures? I can suggest some other places to look as well.

Cheers,
Ron

Check at Supremetronics, on Queen St. W. just east of Active Surplus. They have different size enclosures, one might fit. The other place to check is on Victoria Park, across from Sayal, near Electrosonic. I can't remember the name, but if you look for Sayal on Vic Park just south of Steeles, and then cross the street to the west side and go north about a block, there's a strip mall, there's a parts and computer store that carries enclosures.

Ron

Go for 3" depth, you'll need it with the PCB standoffs and the electrolytic caps.

I used a Hammond 17x10x3 chassis (if I remember right). Worked out fine, because I recently got a new MC cartridge, and there was room left over in the chassis for the step-up transformers so I didn't have to add extra RCA connections to the signal path.

P.S. I built an outboard power supply, in a cheap Radio Shack enclosure, so I didn't have to fit PS transformers inside the main chassis. If you're building the Pearl in one enclosure, your height requirements might change.

I think I tried multiple options, and then ended up with some multi-conductor cord I bought somewhere. I know that thicker gauge would be better for the power and ground lines, but it seems to work fine, and the hum levels are acceptable in my system, so I haven't bothered with trying to improve it. I bought male/female DIN connectors and soldered 4 of the conductor wires in the cable to 4 pins on the DIN connector. I think my cable is shielded, and off the top of my head I don't remember if I connected the shield at one end or both ends. I was battling serious RFI problems at one point (after I rewired my tonearm), so I was trying everything I could think of.

Enclosures

I built a combination of the pearl phono section and the Aleph L as my line preamp. The preamp sounds great! I used enclosures from Par Metals in NJ (one for the power supply and one for the electronics). Par has some nice 19" rack mount enclosures at very good prices. I do not know if they export to the Great White North, however (although I shouldn't talk as it is pretty snow-covered here in Connecticut).

-Paul

http://www.par-metal.com/

Umbilical Cord

BTW, I used good old 9 pin RS-232 connectors and 22 ga wire that I enclosed in heat shrink. Do not have any problems with hum. Just make sure that the end that could have power is aways female so there is no chance of electrical shock:bigeyes: (female on the output from the power supply to male on the umbilical cord input to female on the unbilical cord output to male on the preamp input)

Polishing your Pearl

I used some "plain Potatoes" boxes as seen here, painted black and with a front panel added. I bought them from Mouser. The larger one is 8in.Wx12in.Dx3in.H. Fit is snug, but works. I didn't really like leading the connections from the one channel past the electronics for the other to the back, but it worked ok. Now that it's done, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

For the umbilical I used a DIN connector. I think I used 5 pin; one unused. They're very inexpensive. A couple of dollars for both parts. Looks professional (the connector, that is) and works fine.

Attachments

• pearl03.jpg
    pearl03.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 617
Kimber 4TC speaker cable (8 wires) makes a nice umbilical cord. I tested it in my gainclone and it sounds very good with extended and detailed top end without coloration added by some lesser wires (like silver plated copper in teflon jacket that I also tried). Some may doubt it, but umbilical cord from reg PS has an influence on the sound of your preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.