PCBs for Aleph30 & Aleph L !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aleph-L PCBs Ready!

As I promissed at the peginning of this thread I post now the Aleph L pcbs with added on board the (64) stepped attenuator as the one in the aleph p V1 preamplifier using ADC0804 A/D converter.
There are two files in the zipped file, 1) is the actuall pcb and the other is the stuffing diagram(mask) with the actuall values printed on it.

Thanks again Mr Pass for his willingness to share with us his knowledge as well as his intelectuall property.

Sincerely yours,

Panos

Attachments

• aleph-l.zip
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,755
URGENT CORRECTION!!!!!!!

Typing is surely a very weak point about me!!!
In the aleph-L mask I typped wrongly the clock capacitor as a 15pf where it should have been 150pf!!!

I am terribly sorry for any inconvinience that I caused to my fellow DIYers who might already used 15pf instead of 150pf.

Yours,

Panos

URGENT CORRECTION 2!!!

Dear all,

First of all I really have to apologize for any inconvenience that I may cause to anybody who attempted to build the aleph-L using my version of PCB since there is a mistake.
o.k. I said sorry!!!
I am only a diyer and not a pro in any way!
So this is the final and CORRECTED and also tested and WORKING version of my PCB.
I only found the missing resistor yesterday that I was actually building the damn thing.
For everybody who may already print the PCB should be easy enough to correct the mistake underneath the PCB.
For details on that please ask me so I can help.

Sincerely yours,

Panos

panos29: It seems to me that you omitted Z1, Z2, Z3, and Z4. I believe they are there to protect the input FET's (?). What is the reason for you to omit them?

I also noted that you have a "C" between R31-R33 and Out+. Why is that, and what is "C"??? Any cap? Just for fun???

I'm building an Aleph30 right now, using your PCB layout. Thanks for the good work!

Best regards,
//magnus

C just for fun!

Dear Magnus,

First of all I have to apologise for the delay of my answer, but due to the nature of my work I am travelling abroad very often, thus I have little time on my pc.
About your questions now, Z1,2,3,4 are very much needed but I prefer to solder these either underneath the mosfets or even better directly on the input RCA connector.
"C" is not funny at all! It is a "stabilising" capacitor (680pf-1000pf) as found on the original aleph5 and aleph3 schematics and I included these in my pcb just in case someone wants to build a direct copy of the older alephs.
About the DC protection now I am afraid that I have to admit that its a failure since it is not that quick in response so I quit trying and just copied another one from elektor magazine.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,

Panos

R0?

Hi again!

Thank you very much for your response! I just finished one of the boards last night, but need a heatsink before I dare to try it out. I'll mount the zeners in one way or the other.

But where did R0 go? Hmmm... Should I mount that just before my common ground point from one of the "OUT"'s and connect the speaker connection directly to the common ground? Oh, wait, stupid me(?). Could it be, that in the schematic it is there to prevent a ground loop?

Well, it should be up and running any time now! You'll most likely hear from me again!

Best regards,
//magnus

Has any one made the Panos attenuator?

I am evaluating this design but Pans does not state the component (pot ) for cw-ccw on the layout.

Can any one assist please?

I think Panos is away in London visiting Hi Fi shops!!

I was thinking of adapting the design for balanced operation to use in the BOSOZ.

There is also potential for making a ladder attenuator by simply using another logic circuit to create an inverse value of the shunt resisters for the series elements of the ladder in binary fashion.

This should not be difficult and would mean more relays (24) but then I would have 64 position stereo balanced ladder for less than 1/2 the cost of the Elma equivelent .

Any comments

cheers

macka

Add. file size and format:

Specially the L-pcb file suffered quite much by being saved as a jpg.
And converting it to b/w gif it will be 8 times smaller.

The Aleph30pcb is quite OK.

You surely did the layout work with a vector or a pcb design program, didn't you ?
So please, try to save it as a verctor file (like wmf, which would be best) or a graphic file (like a big scale b/w gif).
Another possiblity would be to save it as a postscript file (print it to a postscript printer as a file) or a pdf (best, because is will be in the right size and everbody can read it).

If you need help, send me a mail.

Klaus

Boardmaker can export PCB design as a Postscript file.
Postscript can be easily converted on the Mac to PDF with preview. Make sure the extension is PS.
There are also numerous ways to convert to PDF in Windows. The most easy I found is www.ps2pdf.com Postscript to Portable Document format converter
:idea:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.