PCB copy rights/writes ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi , I have a small PCB which I bought of a commercial retailer. Its the third one because I have been experimenting with layout and parts. The latest PCB I bought is perfect for my project, the layout is excellent and the dimensions for my hand made enclosure is perfect to. But the question is if I send that PCB off to a manufacturer for a quote I must be doing some sort of copywrite infringement or do I use software and to copy the layout / dimensions etc and send that? The simple fact is that as a fairly new hobbyist I can’t improve on the board.
Any advice please ?

Is the use you're going to use it for significantly different that what the original PCB was intended for? Because even if something isn't copyrighted, you're not allowed to use a specific design without prior written consent, if the use is similar to what the original design was intended for.

Copying a layout is again breaking copyright laws, it is reverse engineering a design.

I sort of knew the answer but need to clarify it by you guys, I would be well hacked off if I had spent ages refining a build only for someone to claim it. So I’m totally agreeing with the copy right laws.
I have an Idea though, I don’t mind buying the boards of the retailer the cost is fine and they are excellent quality, I may ask them if they would supply me with some unbranded ones.
If that fails I will be back to see if anyone else has any ideas lol J

Just down the raod from me Fivetide, I'm in sunny Blackburn.
It is dodgy ground, because even if you copy a layout and change the physical apearence you are still basing it on the same circuit diagram. Quite often the best way is to do as you are thinking and licence a product, or if there is a standard recomended circuit (quite often forund on data sheets) use that and have your own board done.
Quite often engineers will copy the standard reference circuit for a design as it makes life easier, this though further complicates the CR issue, and gives the lawyers a field day.

Under UK law any unauthorised copying is a copyright infringement, although if it is strictly for personal use (i.e. not commercial) then you are likely to get away with it. If a manufacturer is producing PCBs for a particular design (presumably under licence from the copyright holder) then any unauthorised changes would be a copyright infringement. You can't make PCBs for Bloggs and ship them out of your front door, and make unbranded ones to the same design and ship them out of your back door - although this does seem to go on in those parts of the world where copyright is not taken seriously.

Just down the raod from me Fivetide, I'm in sunny Blackburn. .

Hey Marce, I went to school in (not so sunny) Blackburn many moons ago :) lol

If they would unbrand the board I could get them at £2.60 each @ 50 which in all honesty would save me a lot of time and head scratching and its a very small part of the overall cost..

Last edited:
Interesting Sy, I always thought reverse engineering was illegal, not that I have ever looked at a competitors product at any firm where I have worked. But in the States and Europe it seems it is legal, I can sleep easier at nights now:), but I did always think it was an illegal activity.

It's sometimes shady in a moral sense, but once you've bought a piece of hardware, it's yours to do with as you like. If the circuit is patented, there may be infringement issues if you build it, but if it's just for yourself for the purposes of experimentation, it's perfectly legal.

In the EU reverse engineering is legal under certain circumstances e.g. for the purposes of developing complementary products which have to interface to something which the manufacturer won't tell you about. It is not legal for cloning.

Bloggs sells widgets. You would like to design an add-on. Bloggs won't tell you how the widget works. You buy a few, pull them apart and find out how they work. Then you design your add-on. All legal in EU. You can't sell a copy of the widget.

I don't know EU law, but in the US it is absolutely legal to clone the widget as long as you don't appropriate trade dress, violate layout copyrights, or trademarks (i.e., it has to look different and not use the brand name or other specific identification). Could that be what you're thinking?

I'm not sure. OK to sell something which performs the same function (unless patents prevent this). Appearance is covered by copyright (I think). The circuit and the PCB are separately covered by copyright. If you plan to make a 'same function' item it might be best not to look at Bloggs widget, as then it is easier to claim (if challenged) that you cannot have copied anything because you never even looked at it. So reverse engineer for complementary products, but 'clean room' design when you want to eat someone else's lunch?

The PCB is for a "best I can make" CMOY amp, I'm making some for friends but I also intend to sell to anyone else who’s interested, ok CMOYS have been done and it’s a small market but its not a complicated board, its more layout for the cases I'm making, I work in fine woods and metal and hope to produce a very high class case, at the moment I’m working on a cherry wood with brass and ebony inlays , its not my full time job but I do really enjoy working on artistic functional designs.. and yes I am a northerner lol we have feelings to... you know !? ;)

Hope this helps to steer the nuances of the thread?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.