PC sucks - so slow compared to Macintosh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, this thread is now totally flipped out. The original question was about copying speed between CD and harddisk and how to increase the extremely slow speed. Everyone with a little bit of knowledge realize that a Mac from 1997 can't be MUCH better than a 2 GHz P4.

I haven't tested yet but I suspect the Panda Antivirus.

on the topic of CDrom drives: i've had one come apart while in use... a cd somehow came apart inside the drive while the drive was spinning up. amazingly, a piece flew 18ft out the front of the case. what's even more remarkable is the angle on it, as it missed many objects on the way.

my experience with macs hasn't been good. 1 mouse button is "simple" but i feel i can distinguish between left and right. also the macs i used were the slowest things on earth, probably due to the NOS or protocols in use. i assume the ones people buy for home use aren't as bad as the educational versions. I have nothing agianst macs, but i enjoy building things and there isn't much choice for mac parts...

theChris said:
my experience with macs hasn't been good. 1 mouse button is "simple" but i feel i can distinguish between left and right. also the macs i used were the slowest things on earth, probably due to the NOS or protocols in use. i assume the ones people buy for home use aren't as bad as the educational versions. I have nothing agianst macs, but i enjoy building things and there isn't much choice for mac parts...

You know, you CAN replace mouse, keyboard, whatever, with something else. 2 button mouse isn't very expensive, the same as for PC.

If you talk about slow, maybe you used an OLD Mac with MS Office 4 with was really slow. Later Office software were better in this respect.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
theChris said:
1 mouse button is "simple" but i feel i can distinguish between left and right.

Those multi-botton mice drive me crazy. One button (and the modifier keys on the keyboard) makes a lot more sense to me.

also the macs i used were the slowest things on earth, probably due to the NOS or protocols in use.

Ones found in schools are often very old. One school i deal with still has Macs in use that are 10 years old. They are very slow compared to new ones, but get a job done.

dave

the problem with 1 button mice is: games. most first person shooters need buttons to really get into the action, or you have to learn a trackball/joystick combo. i have 5 buttons and mousewheel on my mouse, and have a hard time with the simpler 2 button designs, and won't touch something without a wheel.

i can navigate most websites painlessly with just my mouse, forums excluded. i only wish i could find another mouse like mine for the living room.

planet10 said:
Those multi-botton mice drive me crazy. One button (and the modifier keys on the keyboard) makes a lot more sense to me.

My experience is also that mouse + modifier key is much faster and more ergonomical than shifting between left and right button. But mouse with wheel (note this was advantage PC!) in the middle is very comfortable when scrolling.

the right/right buttons are much easier to deal with once you get used to it. with a modifier key you need both hands to do some things -- which are rather basic and should require anything more than a mouse click - like pulling up a menu of options.

and the wheel is VERY cool =)

btw, you can use either mouse you want on either system. USB is USB.

Just copied 700+ MB file to HDD. Time it took:

1) from ASUS DVD drive 16x DVD/48x CD - 3:20

2) from NEC 32x CD - 6:40

Machine - celeron 366 running on 412 MHz, 160 MB RAM, Abit ZM motherboard (ZX chipset - crippled BX), DVD - second IDE master, CD second IDE slave, HDD - first IDE slave. HDD - 10 GB LCT Quantum.

XP pro installed, ftp connection running, when copying from NEC CD, system response was wery slow.

Peranders, you screwed something up ;)

Nelson Pass said:
I don't know. I bought an iMac just for the hell of it, and
nobody in my family can figure it out.

Nelson, Unix (in Mac clothes) isn't like Macintosh 1984/85. Then it was really easy to understand. Now it takes some time to get things, even with a Mac.

Compare the Dock vs. The task Bar for instance. The Dock much cooler or maybe I have missed cool features with the task bar.

i'm not a fan of any of the purcashed PCs (except alienware, read on) for the reason that the P4 can benefit from faster, lower latency memory. my friend has a 1.5Ghz p4 with sdram. my 1.53 Athlon XP burns his systems so bad it literally disentegrates into component subatomic particles... While the atlhon does have a higher IPC, there is no excuse to how bad his computer is. (actually it may be mostly due to winXP now that i think of it...)

I'm sure one day i'll own a mac.

BTW, you want hard to learn, try linux... once i find out how to adjust the mouse speed i'll be on my way. someone suggested adding an option "resolution 3000" to my /ect/x11/xf86config-4 file in the mouse section... that's just what i had thought of, after all it is so obvious that you have to manually edit config files to do anything...

Where did Apple find those people??

Nelson! You hit the nail on the head. For those with a few minutes to spare, and a need for a good laugh...especially of you just discovered pin 1 on that last IC you just soldered so perfectly is pointing backwards...

Look at the apple.com/switch/ads site, and click on the various TV ads. Check out my favorite: Ellen Feiss ! Draw your own conclusions about the future of our college students.

Be sure to check out the ones in Japanese too...they are a riot!!!

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.