PC noise through internal sound card

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My M-Audio 2496 pci card has computer garbage on the analogue out. Put the pci as far away from the graphics card as possible. Scrolling is noisy. I used a voltage follower buffer which reduces the level but does not eliminate. Avoid any proximity of router/modem.
S-pdif digital or usb is noise free and the best option if you have a reasonable external DAC.

Not holding out any major hope, but emailed Asus to see if any genuis there knows whats wrong with their Motherboard. Will post the reply "if" it is of any use. I have NO PCI cards on my motherboard, its in the same place as all my previous PCs have been, far away from Routers etc, and all my previous and current PCs (another 3) have never had this problem! So at the moment I think Fair Blame is on the Motherboard or the internal Corsair VS450 power supply. Absolutely nothing else has changed !

Have you any active analogue inputs to the mobo eg mixer stuff. Its taken me years to make a decent cable rats nest behind the pc.
Don't just disable the inputs, unplug the RCA's etc . A "power off" input device can create an antenna from the input leads. Oddly this pickup sometimes disappears when the device is powered.
Good luck with Asus. I too have a Z97-A so I've got fingers crossed for you.

No other anlaogue connections to the Motherboard either ! If I plug into the analogue out on the back so I can listen to music through pre/power then blitter noise Straight Away, same if I connect USB to from PC to V Studio Audio interface and then into pre/power. Optical out from Motherboard is clean as a whistle though. Literally the PC is just motherboard, powersupply, hard drive, and DVD. I even disconected the Front USB/Audio card completely, re people having earthing problems, and didnt make any difference ! Regards ! Paul

Thanks Richie ! But that is just another fix and doesn't actually sort out the Cause of the problem which is what I would really like to resolve, and so far we dont seem to have. My only "guess" at the moment is that it is a faulty motherboard but would love to be corrected ! Best Regards Paul

To summarize - your integrated as well as your PC-powered USB soundcards suffer from the noise. They both are powered from by your PC internal power lines. IMO that suggests your supply lines at the points of usb controller and integrated soundcard are too noisy. I do not think you can fix that - the cause.

First I would try using an external USB power supply with corresponding USB cable, avoiding the PC supply line, e.g. http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-an-external-power-supply-to-a-cheap-USB-hub/

PROBLEM SOLVED ! (but not fully understood at this point)
Well folks ! This morning I decided to swop out my preamp and try one of my others in my quest to resolve this Blitter Noise ! Shock Horror, it disappeared and the sound via the Analogue AND the USB into the V Studio Audio interface was noiseless and Perfect ! Replaced the original preamp back and all the Blitter Noise was there again, although the optical was still clean. So a lesson for me, check ALL the audio components ! I still do not know however what is wrong in the preamp that is faulty or why computer activity affects the input on the preamp unless some filter circuit has failed on the board.
So I need to get the preamp looked at, as the replacement is from the same manufacturer but a different model. The original one althoug good, is however rather old which may explain it. So I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem, and it may also explain why this is a rather rare ocurrence as I assume not many preamps have the fault mine must be suffering with. What a Pain !

Thanks for the suggestion Richie ! Checked the pre amp plug, and was OK. Switched Preamp on and grounded that from the external ground connector and no change. I then switched both pre and power amp off. With the V Studio audio interface on I then JUST switched the Power Amp on, and ALL the noise was back again. So it seems somehow the pre amp is being by passed signal wise straight into the power amp. If I just switch off the power amp and switch on the Pre Amp its deadly quiet as I suppose you would expect. And with all of this, the normal sound through the pre and power amp was fine ! Yet all this noise still manages to get though via Analogue and USB but not via Optical !

Yet all this noise still manages to get though via Analogue and USB but not via Optical !
That's a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a ground loop issue. The optical connection, being optical (duh), provides electrical isolation.

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention what your preamp was nor what else is connected to it. Only one single other connection of circuit ground to protective earth is required to complete the ground loop, as the PC already does that, too. It is not only PE that may introduce a ground connection, antenna connections of all kinds are common candidates, too. Appliances with switch-mode supplies may also provide considerable capacitive mains coupling due to EMI suppression capacitors and accordingly dump leakage currents into their connections; TVs are a common cuplrit.

Its A QED preamp, only has the ONE connection to the preamp from the Vstudio which is then connected to the PC via USB. Tried also plugging the preamp into a clean powermains filter but no change. If I remove this only connection and then connect the audio from the PC via the jack plug at the back to the preamp you get exactly the same blitter noise. No TVs or anything else around.
Just changing the preamp with Everything else remaining the same, solved the problem ! Same power, position, connections etc etc.
Problems with ground loops for me have always been hum noises in the past, this is SO completely different. Moving a mouse, certain static internet pages, loading apps etc etc creates a scratching noise !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.