PC for a source. Help lowering PS noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Key said:
Um well that is unless those are the new drivers.

For the last set of drivers (newest) you don't get access to the Delta volume controls using kmixer or even the 'Multi' interface as earlier.

The level setting for the output is gone as well, instead you have levels for individual hardware outputs (I suppose these control the DAC volume and not the hardware mixer). Input levels can be set independently.

These new drivers work better for playback, not as good for recording (IMO). You'll have to go back a couple of generations to get the older features back. Pre SP2 is my guess, so about two years or so.

Yeah, I think version 5.10.00.5057 is the last one I liked. Or that is the one I am using for multichannel anyway. Since it still has the bass managment feature which allows you to set everything to the correct outputs and then control everything with the single volume control on the bass managment tab/page.

With those settings I will use foobar ASIO - I sometimes lower the volume like .5dB for cds/rips that are clipping - and then set the volume on the bass managment tab to -20 or so. And I use foobars EQ for assy mastering.

Any thread in any forum concerning upgrading or maximizing a “source” component starts with the power supplies. Why is this rarely touched on in PC audio? I was ready to give up on my PC audio until I was fortunate enough to have the idea of modding an ATX supply the same way I would any other switching supply. Getting rid of garbage AC input components and adding Hexfred rectifiers, increased filtering capacitors, bypassing, etc. Just the normal stuff you would do to any other source component you may own. It made a world of difference in the overall presentation coming out of my dac. It involved some re-organization inside the case as the “new” PS is quite a bit larger, but was definitely worth the effort.
I am a big admirer of Peter Daniels, but unless you really need the space those Pico PS's are crap AFAIK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.