PC doesn't boot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with Karma and Netlist, if the psu is broken, buy a new one. It's probably a standard ATX psu (i think most PII's were ATX), check the old one and get one with the same or higher power rating (prob. 2-300 W). They are about 30 € in Sweden, don't know bout the US.

If you're not sure it's an ATX (check the mobo connector), then things could be trickier. Then it would probably be an AT supply, a little harder to come by these days, but not impossible.

edit: You could use the old one for parts if you're into electronics, there are usually two big heatsinks and some other useful stuff in there.

/Andreas

My opinions

Okay, here are my opinions for the two people posting problems.

They're both weak power supplies, I'm 95% positive.

For fcel, one of the biggest reasons I can see it taking several tries, is due to the load on the power supply on start up. Biggest start up loads being the hard drives. You want to see if what I think is true, do as someone else suggested. Boot with just a graphics card, some memory and a hard drive.

For Devil_H@ck, another way to put a load on the power supply would be to get an old hard drive and connect it to the supply and power it up. It'll put a small load on the supply and you can get an idea of if its the problem. I say old, just in case the power supply chooses that time to let out its magic smoke, and if it takes the drive with it, you won't care. (Also the older drives tend to suck more power as well)

Power supplies are fast becoming the most notorious problems on computers today. They're built cheap, and people don't think about them when adding two or three hard drives, a CD burner, some USB compononents, a fancy super-duper video card, a network card, a modem, a sound card, mega amounts of memory, and anything else they can throw at it.

My recommendation for both, is to buy the best power supply you can afford that's slightly higher wattage than the one that's in it. I didn't look to see where Devil_H@ck is located but, for fcel, you should be fine going to compusa, best buy, or the like, in addition to your local computer mail order shop and picking up a power supply. I believe all of the P-II's were ATX supplies and the new super-duper supplies are still generally ATX compatible. (You can always take the old one in with you to and make sure the new one has the same connectors on it.)

Update ....

I've bought the ATX power supply unit - pretty cheap too. Took only 10 minutes to swap out the old one with the new one and now my 7 year old Pentium II computer is working like new again. I would like to thank everybody for the suggestions and helps!

Something weird happened ....

Once in a blue moon, I have used the computer that was fixed about a year ago - replacing the power supply module, see above couple of posts. Recently, it won't boot up again. Let me explain.

This is what is happening. After I press the power button, nothing happens. But somethimes, after 30 minutes or even after a couple of hours later, it will comes alive and will start up the booting process and the computer will work as normal. This is really weird. Anybody got any idea why this is happening and a way to fix it?

hehehe, and some say computers are just 1's and 0's..

they seeme to live a life of their own some times.

could it be the switch thats worn down and acting wierd?
i cant see any other reason for this. but be warned, this is a old computer, but not old enough to be meant to last.
theese things have a expected lifespan of 5 to 10 years, and i dont mean usage, but lastage.. troubleshooting old computer equipment is quite hopeless. belive me, i'v spent enough hours of my life to know for shure.

you can test if it's the switch by shorting the pins on the motherboard with a screw driver.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I ones had a PC acting somehow as you describe. It was end of life so I never bothered to find out what exactly the problem was and assembled a new one.
I remember it couldn't have cold boots immediately after power down. I had to try several times or sometimes half an hour before the next attempt.

/Hugo :)

It could be the battery. I found a computer in the thrash which booted up when I tried it. But I didn't have any keyboard or mouse. When I connected mouse and keyboard and tried starting it nothing would happen. PSU voltages were ok but the battery was empty and kept the computer from booting.

Removing the battery made the computer at least start up (with lost settings of course) due to the trickle charge applied to the battery. The trickle charge could be what makes the computer start after 30minutes, when the battery has charged a bit.

There is no trickle charge applied to the battery. it is a non rechargeable lithium button cell, usually 2032. They stopped doing the trickle charge thing a long time ago, i think it was when they came out with the 386

same one used in almost every bicycle speedometer, led flashlights and many other things. you can get it from many convenience stores or bike stores as well as computer stores etc.

usually when the battery is dead it will just complain CMOS checksum is wrong and boot to defaults. it may not boot if you have an unusual hard drive configuration which can not be detected.

An update ....
The computer was able to boot up these few days. I think I see a pattern here. If I turn it on everyday, it will work. But if I use the computer once in a blue moon, it won't boot up right away. It may take a couple of hours to boot up - as described in my previous post a couple days ago.

The last time I tried to measure it, I can only measure one voltage out of the many wires coming out of the power supply, which is 5V.
Doesn't the power supply module need to get a trigger signal from the motherboard - via the on-switch - before it "wakes up" the power supply module?

In the experiance i have had over the several years i have seen more psu's blow up than a board. The board only seens a max 30V ISH.. But inside the psu there are caps that blow at 80V and up depending on the psu ... My bets are if he removed the psu cover he would see fuzz inside it from the caps.. Most people are clueless about psu's What makes a psu blow.. well a power serge or A SEIZED FAN no one ever cleans them the seize and the psu gets to hot then it blows up..

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.