PC based digital crossover with dolby digital live

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a good amp is a good amp

Seems good idea to make cost lower. How's quality?
In HiFi point of view, most home theater amplifier are not good enough for music... Any candidate?

As long as they measure the same in complete measurements they will sound the same. If one is using an amp with 1% distortion such as PA and other amps meant for commercial use are going to sound bad. Receivers these days deceive with their specs, so to get the "rated power" you nearly have to use separates intended for home use. Most people never notice but they are being lied to with power specs.

I found several programs that allow you to use a multi-channel sound "card" as a digital crossover. I really don't think the onboard realtek is that good so I bought miniDSPs which don't require any processing power after setting them up, unlike using a soundcard, from the computer and they use higher def circuitry than most sound cards. Active crossovers are incredibly complex to wire up, at least for me. I blew one expensive tweeter already by hooking the wrong cable to it. I don't know if there is any improvement in sound quality with digital active crossovers but am largely attracted to it because it is a complex problem for me to work on in my head and using measurements. The miniDSPs now interfaces and imports measurements from Room Eq Wizard, a freeware program which makes adjustments much easier. It all becomes expensive with more amps, more cables, measurement mic etc.

I found several programs that allow you to use a multi-channel sound "card" as a digital crossover. I really don't think the onboard realtek is that good so I bought miniDSPs which don't require any processing power after setting them up, unlike using a soundcard, from the computer and they use higher def circuitry than most sound cards. Active crossovers are incredibly complex to wire up, at least for me. I blew one expensive tweeter already by hooking the wrong cable to it. I don't know if there is any improvement in sound quality with digital active crossovers but am largely attracted to it because it is a complex problem for me to work on in my head and using measurements. The miniDSPs now interfaces and imports measurements from Room Eq Wizard, a freeware program which makes adjustments much easier. It all becomes expensive with more amps, more cables, measurement mic etc.

How are the Mini DSP's working for you. I'm intersted in this approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.