PC based AVR-like

Hello all,

I'm exploring the possibility of implementing an "AVR-like" system using a PC and HDMI ARC.
However, I've heard that this path can be challenging due to closed ecosystems and proprietary standards.
For now, I did not even find a valid "approach" to draw on paper (I could not identify an HDMI receiver parts for PC or Raspberry PI).
Has anyone here attempted a similar project, and if so, what challenges did you face (could you please share a real example so I understand exactly)?

Are there any alternative approaches or recommendations for achieving this?

I understand that I will have to fallback to the TOSLINK output from my Smart TV (optical S/PDIF) instead of HDMI ARC. Are there any specific considerations or limitations I should be aware of when opting for TOSLINK in terms of audio format support, bandwidth, or compatibility? (I have read about Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). I am not sure this is a big loss for me, as I aim a regular 5.1 experience from streaming Apps + VLC installed on my TV.
I am more worried about 5.1/PCM/limitation which is unclear for me if that work or not (I read something about bandwidth limitation in 5.1 over TOSLINK).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to your insights,
Thanks

Last edited: