Patent stupidity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
knock offs

as if waving the patent in front of a well-funded competitor will make him say, "Oh, golly, gee, now I have to stop and go out of business!"

Sometimes you just gotta get in there and kick some ***. Like you did those 5 times. However, like you say even if you win these things cost so much you might not recover your fees.

Here's something new.

Attachments

• 6735568 part.gif
    6735568 part.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 342
The only thing that is new about it, and might possibly prevent the destruction of the patent as prior art, is the fact that it is used to control an "application" (read: software).

Short and long clicks however have been in use for decades now. One example that comes to my mind are sensor controlled dimmers:
Short touch: on/off ; long touch: dim up/down

Regards

Charles

not that bad

Here is a quote from the patent, claim 1:
(c) opening an application if the application button is released prior to the expiration of a threshold time limit; and

(d) opening the application and automatically causing the application to display the last known state of the application if the application button is pressed, without being released, for a period equal to or in excess of the threshold time limit.

So to be infringed both steps (c) and (d) must be implemented. Someone could easily get around this by opening the application to a "default" state instead of a "last known state" in step (d). While the claim seems obvious to everyone, that's a separate issue as to whether it was done before. I'm not really too offended by the patent at my 1st read, I've seen far worse.

I have seen an European patent that in their first claim, in the english text, patented a single chip RF tranceiver (RF and BB). The funny thing is that when upon examination the french version was read it didn't contain the same wording.
The patent was granted in France and it was the EPO application i saw, do not know if it is settled yet but if they had gotten that it would have been interesting, for my company at least.

purplepeople said:
I thought you were joking until I searched the USPTO site.

With successful marriages having been arranged for thousands of years, portions of the "method" must have been in the public domain.

I can't believe that this was even seriously considered by the examiner.

:)ensen.

Hey be careful what you say about eharmony.... I can testify from personal experiance -- it works, and WELL

My apologies Graham,

Please understand no disrespect was meant, I simply remembered incorrectly. Did we not have a PM when you asked me about the horn shaped reflex ports? Anyway, I guess what they say about age and the failing memory is true:

Uh...er...wait a minute it'll come to me, just a sec.

I still think the breathing apparatus is a good idea, just make sure you poke it far enough in so it isn't a drinking apparatus.

Yours truly,

John
or Cal
or whatever my name is

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.