Passlabs Rushmore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
David Gatti said:
Thing is, you were not very specific Mac.
"Not that impressive" and "could hear the traits of the PHL drivers" is extremely vague and tells us very little about their sound. If you are going to criticise a product, I think you should back it up with something more substantial.

Agreed David.

Its just as important to give the reasons why you think something sounds good though, yet many folks get away with saying they just 'sounds great' or 'impressive'.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Come on Feandil, you know its rougher than a bears todger :D

lol not according to mark k's measurements...

it's pleasure to my ears :D

it's an unbelievably transparent driver :)

I also happen to DETEST the Seas millenium for the money... I've heard $10 tweets I like better... but I still own mine

zaph's tests confirmed what my subconcious was telling me about the sound from the Millenium...

seems that kind of stuff happens all the time... like when I saw the FR for the Mcintosh line array... exactly what my ears told me 3 mths before :xeye: "irregularly high top end and fairly distortion ridden"

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Audiophilenoob said:
ears can tell you a lot.... but sometimes the Least impressive speakers as far as simply their traits... are the ones you should take a long hard glance at

Yes I know what your saying. Good speakers sound natural and don't draw you attention to anything other than the performance. If you think your at the venue then you know your either deaf/crazy or you've pulled off a decent speaker.

DIY_newbie said:

You should take a picture of your final project towering over the speaker graveyard of "inferior drivers"...

I would very much like to see that picture...

--Chris

most of graveyard is in my garage... in boxes...

from the Hivi M4n's, Nsb's, horns, Seas poly cones 6.5's, Seas millenium, LCY 130s, Aura 3", Aura 2" (I like these might make a bookshelf), Aura 1", TB bamboo cone 3", TB titanium 3", Dayton Neo tweeters, Seas lotus tweeter, Peerless HDS 8", SS 7000 tweeter (actually I returned this.... it was too expensive), RE SX 18's, DD 9515's (using these in my car), Fountek Neo3, AC G3Si's (pair... using them in these shortly to replace the DIY ribbons... got them for free), Audax PR17 (finally found one last month), ED 10"K, ED B315, Dayton 7" alum cone, Vifa XT25.....

ok I'm tired of the list now even though there's more.... I might take a large group photo soon .... maybe... I need to do a little woodwork this weekend

This smight be an alternate solution:

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• graveyard.gif
    graveyard.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 475
Audiophilenoob said:

from the Hivi M4n's, Nsb's, horns, Seas poly cones 6.5's, Seas millenium, LCY 130s, Aura 3", Aura 2" (I like these might make a bookshelf), Aura 1", TB bamboo cone 3", TB titanium 3", Dayton Neo tweeters, Seas lotus tweeter, Peerless HDS 8", SS 7000 tweeter (actually I returned this.... it was too expensive), RE SX 18's, DD 9515's (using these in my car), Fountek Neo3, AC G3Si's (pair... using them in these shortly to replace the DIY ribbons... got them for free), Audax PR17 (finally found one last month), ED 10"K, ED B315, Dayton 7" alum cone, Vifa XT25.....

ok I'm tired of the list now even though there's more.... I might take a large group photo soon .... maybe... I need to do a little woodwork this weekend

Where did you source your PR170? I'm actually thinking about doubling mine up in an MTM but can't find 2 more available for sale anywhere..

--Chris

DIY_newbie said:

Where did you source your PR170? I'm actually thinking about doubling mine up in an MTM but can't find 2 more available for sale anywhere..

--Chris

found it used from a friend...

I'm not willing to sell it just yet... it really is a nice sounding driver and I only have the one

I know that they are nearly impossible to come by

you know that a perfect subsitution is the PHL 1060... IIRC they're so close to the same driver it's not worth talking about

zalytron.com has them ungodly cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.