PassLabs Aleph 4.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Schematics 2

Here is complete power supply schematics. I have completely assembled power supply and tested.

Integrated functions:
input filter
power on/of sequencer with soft start
thermal protection
standard fuse protection
remote on/off by DC or AC 12V signal

Attachments

• power supply-v.0.2_circuit.gif
    power supply-v.0.2_circuit.gif
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,098
Thanks….Several weeks I didn’t have much time to finish amplifier. Hopefully I finish amplifier during last two weeks in December (I have vacation). I began write some simple documentation with short description, schematics, PCB, component layouts, components list. I share documentation once it I finish it.

DC Protection circuit

After several days I finally have time to move forward with my Aleph... . Today I tested DC protection circuit for speakers. Original design is working but circuit reaction is slow. I little bit tune up circuit and now it is working fine. Tested and working schematics is here:

Attachments

• dc-detect_simulation.jpg
    dc-detect_simulation.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 764
Power supply - soft start

Power supply

During several test I found that currently used soft start topology is not capable correctly control/limit inrush current. Some problems with circuit was expected but I'm really surprised how big inrush current requires power supply with total capacitance 0.376 F (I build several amplifier but never used more than 22mF of total capacitance). I'm thinking about circuit replacement by something like is used in A75 power supply or use SSR with ability to switch ON/OFF in zero voltage.

Szervusz Tomas!
Excellent article!
According to my solution the network voltage pass through to the 3KVA toroid an 10 ohms who-knows-it-how-many-watt wire resistance with a ceramics body. It is maybe 32,5A flowing at a worst case on the resistance if we look at it this only so. I lock short after the hooks of the resistance with an 40A zerocrossing solid-state relay.
You may look at this here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=632228&stamp=1114953975
I do not say that you should make it in this wise. But I know that you will prepare a much more beautiful solution anyway. I wanted to provide an idea to you only.
The solution of the minor matters is not my strength according to my viciousness unfortunately. I insert the amplifier's forked cork into the electric network, then (if I do not forget it) I set off the relay with a little switch. The big green resistance endures my absent-mindedness relatively well. I should create some little delaying electronic circuit only though.
I am lazy only.
With a Christmas greeting:
Gyuri
I hope for it, my earlier prophecy proves true!
I do not say that you should make it in this manner. But I know that you will prepare a much more beautiful solution anyway. I wanted to provide an idea to you only.

Power supply - soft start

Thank you Gyuri. Your solution looks very robust and oversize :). I'm almost decided to use modified power supply circuit topology from here:

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/a75p2.pdf

I hope that you are one of lucky people who don't need spend last days in shopping centers to buy something. I wish you happy marry Christmas.
I like Christmas but hate days before because tons and tons of people are everywhere....

Szervusz, Tomas!
Well, if we may regard it as fortune, here in middle-east Europe, and yes, here this nowadays fortune, with not buying hardly, but I spend my days with work rather at it.
Nothing is missing otherwise here from the Christmas, only the essence of this, that is the peace, the calmness and the affection.
Let it be from these here for us more!
But this mostly possibly not too our leaders, but depends on ourselves!

Gyuri

Anyway why not we could be friends? Since we are thinking similarly. And why it excludes the opportunity of the friendship if we are thinking some other way?

My Aleph is working!!!! Yeeeaaaaaah....

Hello all

My Christmas began few hours earlier. I bring alive one Aleph 4.0 mono block. It is working without compromises. Sound is very good. Amplifier is hot like hell :). Heatsing has 60°C when room temperature is about 22°C. Power supply rails still hold on 51V DC without any variation. Heatsing on rectifier is cold.
I removed thermistor connected between GND and earth which caused a lot of buzzing into speaker (it is used in original schematics). Now speaker is really quite and producing music only.
Output DC drift is under 20mV after 30 minutes amplifier warming.

Input mosfets are matched to 10mV and output mosfets are matched to 100mV.

Once I bring online second mono block make any listening and keep you updated about my impression.

To Nelson Pass: Thank you that you share with us design ideas and schematics. Many thanks.
:)

Update – it's working again!!! Yeaaah...

Gyuri thank you.

Second Aleph 4.0 mono block is alive and fully operational. It's working also without problems. Measured values are almost same like on first mono block.

Yeaaah this year Christmas are amazing.

Next step is solve issue with soft start circuit topology.
See you later.

Soft start issue is solved

Thank you elac310.

I keep and tuned up my initial soft start circuit and seems to be working fine. Current limiting resistor should have value 6.5 ohm and 30W. Resistor is bypassed by relay after 10 seconds. Input fuse should be slow type 6A/250V.

Listening and listening....

Today I spend hours and hours by listening of music on my finished Aleph 4.
My source is DVD player Panasonic DVD-RA71 (little bit obsolete but has good sound). I used output with volume control for headphones and connect it to RCA on Aleph 4.0 (I don't have preamplifier yet) . My speakers are Jamo Classic 8 (4 ohms, yes I know Aleph 4.0 is designed for 8 ohms, yes I know that Jamo is not high end). Amplifier and speakers are connected by standard speaker cable with diameter 3mm.
What about sound? So I should say that I'm surprised positive and also negative way. But in most cases positive way, believe to me. Amplifier and currently used speakers love jazz, blues, world music and instrumental music. It is full of details and air. I can listen music quite or loud and there are still details.. Since today I like Diana Krall, Elvis Costello. Death Can Dance – Duality kicked out my breath...full of details, space and dynamics (I should say same about first two CDs.). Well next listened CD was from Michael Jackson – two CDs compilation history. Here were coming positive and negative experiences. Older records/songs are without live when music become complicated/more voices, instruments (special electronic instruments) sound is like screaming without details. Also space is like reduced. But for example songs Stranger in the Moscow, Earth song had very nice sound with details, dynamics, space...
I like Enigma so it can't be missing during listening. Today Enigma made for me mixed fillings. Usually I hear a lot of bass. Today Enigma was played with less bass but more details, air and space.

I thing that sound will be improved by adding preamplifier with input selector + volume control and use line out from DVD player. Also better speaker should improve sound quality.

Well I already began to build preamplifier. Here is link: http://jos.vaneijndhoven.net/relaixed/:) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.