Passive pre.... what's going on with this one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Passive pre.... what's going on with this one?

gootee said:
Would it be: Source, then a series 47uF, series 100R, 32pF to gnd, 20k (or 5K) pot, wiper out, to 10pF to gnd, series 470nF, 42K to gnd ?

And if there was an RF filter, I assume that it would go either before or after the 470nF (and might consist of a few hundred series ohms and a few hundred pF to gnd, and then maybe another few hundred series ohms).
Does anyone know if AKSA fits an RF filter to the front of his amps?
Hugh, where are you?

Tom,
I think you have interpreted correctly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Passive pre.... what's going on with this one?

gootee said:

Would it be: Source, then a series 47uF, series 100R, 32pF to gnd, 20k (or 5K) pot, wiper out, to 10pF to gnd, series 470nF, 42K to gnd ?

With those values above the first RF filter (100r series and 32pf to ground) it is -3db @ 49mhz
The second RF filter which is half the value of the 5k pot at worst 2.5k (2500r series and 10pf to ground) it is -3db @ 6.3mhz.

If you can hear these filters you must be a bat!

Cheers George

Hi George,
we know you meant to say that the worst Rs of the pot is it's value divided by 4, so bat's we are not.
The more important issue when short, low capacitance cables are used, is whether an RF filter is fitted inside the power amp input.

For the 20k pot, I would suggest that the RF filter capacitor should be less than 150pF (0.8uS) and for a 5k pot we can tolerate just 680pF. Some would fit caps of only one third of these values (0.25uS) and say they can hear the difference from using anything higher.

AKSA,
please come in and talk to us.

Looking at the bandwidth of his Aksa 55 he has limited it to -1db @ 35khz I would say this was determined by his input filter, good practice is to have all filters even on the feedback after this faster and faster.
Yes if his cap to ground on the input rf filter is 1000pf to ground then with the output of the passive pot at 2500r that creates a lowpass of -3db @ 63khz this is still ok, but any more than 1000pf at it will start cutting into the top end 20khz. But I have yet to see an amplifier with a input rf cap over 1000pf!

Cheers George

Hi,
1000pF and a 20k pot is a killer (~=5uS).
F-3db=31.5kHz. This is clearly audible top cut.
Even changing to 5k pot only brings the top cut down to 1.3uS. This is still audible.
Many recommend the RF filter be in the range 0.5uS to 1.5uS but some argue that these too affect the top end and suggest we go even lower to about 0.2uS to 0.3uS. I use 0.68uS and it works for me.

AFAIK, there is a low pass filter on the input and well under 1000pF.

The 47uF + 100R in series between the opamp and RCA on the CD player.
Cable 32pF
Pot 20K
Cable < 10pF
RCA of power amp to 470nF and then a mystery. All I know is the input impedance is 42K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.