Passive Pre Noob Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a passive preamp to temporarily control a non-buffered IGC (Lm3875). I am using a 100k Noble pot with the wiper connected to the output, one leg connected to input, and one leg to ground. Many of the schematics I see posted around use a 10k resistor on the input. Why? I haven't included it, am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Dave

This is the schematic I am questioning.

Thanks,
Dave
PS I hope I attached the image right.

Attachments

• schem.jpg
    schem.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 420
Thanks Nuuk.

And also, thanks for the great website and GC instructions. I have a prototype up and working that was completed almost entirely from the directions on your site. I'm working on a case now. Once I finish the case, I'll post pictures and the results. But even using a portable CD player as a source and rubish speakers, I am amazed at how this little thing sings.

If you really want to get the most out of your passive pre, you should seriously think about upgrading to a stepped or even a ladder attenuator. The difference in clarity between that and even the best pot is like day and night. (provided, of course. your system is reasonably revealing already.

If you really want to get the most out of your passive pre, you should seriously think about upgrading to a stepped or even a ladder attenuator. The difference in clarity between that and even the best pot is like day and night. (provided, of course. your system is reasonably revealing already.

I would say Amen to that but he did say that this is only a temporary solution! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.