Pass JFET Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I implement one resistor under CCS (Q2& Q3) ,to little ease life for Q2;
another solution was to place something like 2 pieces of BD140-16 back-to-back,but this looks more elegant solution, and little BCs just have more beta .....
Very true. Beta min for a philips BD140-16 is 100. Good enuf for a
CCS.
I like mounting two of these back to back, flat on PCB or Perf
board with an M3 screw. Isolated in between. Makes it nice and
strurdy. But that's just me.

... 45W per device
don't forget that these Alephs are commercial devices...and I resume that Papa Nelson made this decision with some thinkering and experience.......
Very true. And that's on of the appealing factors to me as well.
These Aleph's are not easely ruined.

ever heard a story about old school radio Hams -cooking 6L6 in bucket of oil,with quadruple max dissipation?...
Slightly different pupose. Ever heard of a cooked antenna?
(just kidding)

... will be Oak too,placed on 4 studs in corners,with some 15mm clearance to sides...
Nice circuit, gets good looks. Your circuit deserves that.

Regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have never built Aleph yet because the circuit is farrrr complicated for me . . . :tilt: . . . Anyhow, your Babbelfish looks delicious . . .

As I finished my Krazy, with time I used my finger to examine the fish once again all the way carefully, wondering whether steaming or frying it could be better . . . :yummy:

Umm . . . the current limit protection seems to be set with high value . . . why so high . . ? :rolleyes:
The right side leg of LTP is sit on the top of the source resistor . . . to save one resistor . . . ? :rolleyes: . . .
What was yr thinking with these . . . ?

jh

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jh6you said:
I have never built Aleph yet because the circuit is farrrr complicated for me . . . :tilt: . . . Anyhow, your Babbelfish looks delicious . . .

As I finished my Krazy, with time I used my finger to examine the fish once again all the way carefully, wondering whether steaming or frying it could be better . . . :yummy:

Umm . . . the current limit protection seems to be set with high value . . . why so high . . ? :rolleyes:
The right side leg of LTP is sit on the top of the source resistor . . . to save one resistor . . . ? :rolleyes: . . .
What was yr thinking with these . . . ?

jh

hiya my yinyang boy
:D

Aleph's complication is in fact just matter of drawing.....especially when you draw just one output pair ;) hehe-then it's not complicated
just take pen and the paper and start drawing block by block;
each part have his own role;
when you'll finish,nothing will be complicated.

.... current limit-just isn't tested in prototype ; when I'll have finall pcb ,then siggene ,dummy load and CRO will tell everything;

right side leg of LTP......... sorta folded cascode,if I'm right........

Grey and Nelson,

I am back!
How about a symetrical balanced version CCS-J_Fet... :cool:

Alain.

Attachments

• ccs-j_fet3b.jpg
    ccs-j_fet3b.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 994
Alain,

Can you please describe what's going on with the circuitry above your outputs (C4, Q3 - Q6, etc.)? I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. If you can provide a link to a description that would work, too.

By the way, after studying the Zen articles, I did a cut and paste job to come up with the attached circuit. But I do not have the skill to know if it would work or if I've created a frankenzen.

Regardless, your design eliminates the inductor coupling which, since I don't have large transformers laying around, might be cheaper. Are there other benefits to your approach? Is it more efficient?

Thanks.

Paul Ebert

Paul,

I started in Post #306 of this thread...

continuing on Post #410

with some ideas... :smilie(':bs:')

And it covers the points 2, 3, 4, 5, 5bis, of my note {from Post #306}

I didn't yet receive the JFet's from Grey, but I think they are on their way...

So you'll have to wait till then, I have no idea if this will work, but it's worse a try!

If Grey has a moment, he sure could tell us about-it!

It's pure vision, I have no simulator at home Mac OS X 10.2 !

Regards.

Alain.

Choky, I have found locally the following FETs: J164, J165, J176, J310.

Of these, the J310 appears to be the most likely part to replace the J109 differential pair in your JFET Aleph. Do you think I need to change any values of parts or current settings?

I have with me two torroidal transformers. They are rated at 180VA and have 25-0-25 volt windings.

What if I used a capacitance multiplier with IRFP260s and used either IRFP260 or IRFP460 for the outputs of the amps? Would this be better or is IRFP250/150 a better part?

I would like to use this only for mid/high frequency application driving Fostex 168EZ in Open Baffle. Low frequency duties would be taken care of by 10"x2 or 15"/18" x1 driven by Stochino amps whose bass I love.

Any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.