Pass D1V3 DAC - build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Works with the jumpers set to 16bit output from the receiver - no need to mod around M2.

Grounding M2 puts the cs8412 into mode 0 which is "Out, L/R, 16-24bit". You then need to mod the pmd-100 board to pull JUST low so the PMD-100 will accept the 16-24bit input.

There is probably little benefit in doing this unless you want to run 24bit 48khz source material.

The PMD-100 is quite nice sounding. The tops are a little more restrained than the SM5842 so there seems to be a bit less "air".

Problem building a Spencer I/V-stage

Hello all,

I built an I/V stage and power supply according to Spencer's schematic. I just made my own layout and PCB. Today I finished the I/V stage and attached it to my DAC (CS8416 -> AD 1896 -> DF1704 -> ISO150 -> 4x PCM1704U-K).
It looks like the stage is working, but what concerns me is the response to square signal (see attached screenshot of my scope with 1000 Hz).

Any ideas what’s the problem here?

Many thanks in advanced for help.

Best wishes

Ralf

Attachments

• 1k_sqr.jpg
    1k_sqr.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 569
Hello Paul,

Thanks for the hint. It’s always embarrassing if you don’t know the physics behind the device you DIY. My 15 year old NOS Pioneer CD-Player can produce a nearly perfect square so I thought that the new DAC should be even better:xeye: Ok, no more concerns about square waves. At least the responce is near the mathematical square funktion limited to 22 kHz.

I didn't have the time for excessive test hearing yet. The good thing is that I can do direct A/B comparisons with the internal DACs of my CD- and DVD-player and the same CD over digital out and my DAC.

My measuring equipment is very limited. I have a semi professional recording A/D converter and a PC software tool to do some measurements. This software says that the DAC has a severe problem with harmonics even on sine signals and a THD of 1%.
There is a commercial HiFi manufacturer in the neighbourhood. I try to get my DAC measured there.

Best wishes

Ralf

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Ralf,

don't worry. your pics made me search for more information about this as I hadn't checked the square wave and they looked a bit odd. I learnt something too ;)

I be very interested to see the results of the tests. I tried using RMAA test tones on cd and recording the output into a semi-pro digital recorder then analyzing the resulting file and got high levels of THD. The whole process was a bit dubious so I haven't put much stock in my results.

cheers
Paul

Hello,

here is the distortion I measured with my ADC. I think the level I measured is near the limit of accuracy of this thing. So I would not put too much weight on these figures.

The HiFi manufacturer around the corner made very drastic clear that he is not interested in DIY-freak's affairs. But I know some other HiFi developper who is more open. Let's see what he charges for a precise measurement.

Today I listened to my DAC and it looks like it (or my ears) need a few hours burn in. I like it more and more. But I just enjoyed music and made no analytic listen tests.

Some more pictures are on my website .

Best wishes

Ralf

Attachments

• klirr.gif
    klirr.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 853
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.