Pass D1 I/V Stage PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know nothing about a Squeezebox, but:
What kind of signal is comming out of the squeezebox? I cant help wonder, how you can adjust the volume of that signal. Usually you cant, when dealing with digital signals. Is it SPDIF or I2S you are feeding into that Buffalo?

:)

BTW. I have no clue what input bias is, it was you who started that a few post's back:D

Hi again,

As you know I use the ESS Sabre DAC chip from Twisteadpearaudio together with D1. According to Russ White the Sabre DAC spit out ~8mA. Look here .

From what I understand this is twice what the D1 is designed for?
So to make this work, could I reduce R6a and R2a to their half value? Or maybe R3a? Schematic here ->
attachment.php

Best regards

Yunick said:
Hi All,

From schematic above:

To modify the D1 to work with 15mA p-p.
I assume that I can replace R2a with 200r and R6a with 133r. With this adjustments I'll keep the output impediance with a output of +/-2Volt? Only drawback may be a 2.7W heat from T1a :/

Did you do that mod, and did it work? I am sorry to be of so little help on this, maybe someone else could tune in? Unfortunately I never tried to modify the D1.

:)

Ok, I am about to order parts for my D1 I/V stages. One is for a buffalo DAC and the other is for another PCM63 project later. I want to figure out what the best part for the job is and what voltage, so opinions please.

C1/C2-100nF
C1A/C1B-10nF
C2A/C2B-2700pF
C3A/C3B-4.7uF
C4/C4A/C4B/C9-220uF

Also, where is good place to get the pots? Has anyone settled on the Shiny group buy?

Hi

Farnell has all the parts you need, And hopefully someone has allready the partnumbers in a nice excelsheet or something :)

Regarding the Shiiny i do not have a complete layout for it and i can not tell when it is expected.
There are however others that made nice layouts for it. If you do a search you will proberly find it :)

/JZ

........Will Black Gates fit?.....

I use 10µf 50V BG N as output caps. I fitted them under the PCB with 5mm leads left. It does sound great.
From the beginning I used RIFA PHE426 4.7µf but they where a bit big.. I had the BG caps laying around so I tried the out..

If you look closely you can se the BG sticking out under the PCB.. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Zei, nice setup:)
I was considering the same rig, squeezebox, buffalo and then D1 I/V.
Did you get it to go properly, or is the output still too high?

BTW are you listening to MP3 or flac files? Flac through a squeezebox with a good dac is incredible. Mp3 is limited. Ive heard this with an opus balanced out into my aleph 2s, and I was inpressed.

Luke said:
Zei, nice setup:)
I was considering the same rig, squeezebox, buffalo and then D1 I/V.
Did you get it to go properly, or is the output still too high?

BTW are you listening to MP3 or flac files? Flac through a squeezebox with a good dac is incredible. Mp3 is limited. Ive heard this with an opus balanced out into my aleph 2s, and I was inpressed.

I haven't had the time to fiddle with it more. The output is still high (i think 6V p-p) because of the buffalos higher mA output. This caused my preamp to clip..

For now I use the built in volume control in the squeezebox then feed direct to my power amp. This is for me a very good combination. I use mainly Flac, but sometimes mp3 also. But never during critical listening. With 88db spks and 15db gain in poweramp full volume on the squeezebox is just right :)

The sound is just awesome! Powerful describes it good.. Alot of drive :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.