Pass B1 pre with BF862

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a schematic. It has three JFETs all in parallel. Q101 &Q100 are K117,the other two are smd BF862,I will try both parallel and single configuration.
Thanks to Juma ,Andrew ,EUVL and Nelson. I incorporated all your ideas.
Hope I have not screwed up anything.
Please take a look.:D

Attachments

• BI BF862 PRE.png
    BI BF862 PRE.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 610
> Does anyone has experience using BF862 to replace 2SK170 /LSK170 in B1 pre amp?

Already discussed in detail some 8 years ago ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/140488-b1-turbo-chip.html

Cheers,
Patrick

Hi Patrick, not much experience here, but at least I can say that my B1 runs very well on BF862's (without gate stopper resistors for now) - sounds awesome.
Here is my humble build: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/124889-b1-buffer-preamp-421.html#post5011120

This thread started off very well and there is some valuable info here, unfortunately most of the technicalities I still do not understand (yet).

Jerry

PCBs

here is the PCb. Please let me know if there are any design flaws.
So the board has option to use one or two BF862 or an 2SK170.Also play with and without gate resistors for current source jfets.

Attachments

• BI BF862 PRE brd1.png
    BI BF862 PRE brd1.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 744
  • BI BF862 PRE brd.png
    BI BF862 PRE brd.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:
Hi Patrick, not much experience here, but at least I can say that my B1 runs very well on BF862's (without gate stopper resistors for now) - sounds awesome.
Here is my humble build: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/124889-b1-buffer-preamp-421.html#post5011120

This thread started off very well and there is some valuable info here, unfortunately most of the technicalities I still do not understand (yet).

Jerry

I took a peek at your build. I like your style.

I am still waiting after 4 weeks for pcbs to arrive.I ordered components yesterday.
so this is the plan I understand from here.
Getting 30 BF862 and will look for 2(4 for parallel) close matched idss pairs(<5%Difference in IDSS).
Using a combination of trimmer(200ohm) and a fixed resistor to set Id less than Idss.And this combination will be used in both upper and lower source resistors to maintain Id lower than Idss?
Still not sure if I need a gate resistor at the gate of courrent source JFET?I will use a 400ohm as gate resistor for signal jfet.
everything else same as original design.
Please let me know if this sounds ok or not.

Wish I know how to design a circuit with 3.But then how many JFEts one need to buy to get a iDs c match?
Paralleled jFETs have been recommened and used for the inputs of very low source voltages. Many Members have implemented this and I can't recall any coming back to say the non matching ruined the performance of the stage. I do recall a few coming back and reporting that matching was unimportant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.