• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pass Aleph Amplifier Chassis Group Buy Proposal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Boards

Anthony,

The story behind the PCB's is as follows.

I'm putting two different projects on one giant board to keep the setup charges to a minimum. The giant board breaks down like this:

- 1 channel Aleph 2 Power Amplifier (As shown)
- 1 channel BZLS signal board with relay volume control on board
- 2 separate BZLS power supplys on one board
- 1 digital distribution / microcontroller board (for BZLS)
- 1 digital power supply board (for BZLS)
- 1 rear panel input/output selector board (for BZLS)

Basically to get two full channels of audio, I'm ordering two boards as described above, and I'll be left with some extra preamp PCB's.

It would cost me an extra $175 USD to add another quantity of two boards to the order, so you'd get two Aleph boards, plus a full BZLS preamp for that price. I guess if you can make use of all the boards it would be worth it, but for just the two aleph boards that would be pretty steep. Both boards are kind of a "cost no object" approach, so the parts on them are pretty much top notch. I can send you the .PCB files if you want to check them out, or I guess I could do some more screen shots if you have no means of viewing the Altium files.

Let me know as soon as you can if you'd be interested. This goes for anyone else too!

Cheers,
Owen C.

Re: Boards

opc said:
Anthony,

The story behind the PCB's is as follows.

I'm putting two different projects on one giant board to keep the setup charges to a minimum. The giant board breaks down like this:

- 1 channel Aleph 2 Power Amplifier (As shown)
- 1 channel BZLS signal board with relay volume control on board
- 2 separate BZLS power supplys on one board
- 1 digital distribution / microcontroller board (for BZLS)
- 1 digital power supply board (for BZLS)
- 1 rear panel input/output selector board (for BZLS)

Basically to get two full channels of audio, I'm ordering two boards as described above, and I'll be left with some extra preamp PCB's.

It would cost me an extra $175 USD to add another quantity of two boards to the order, so you'd get two Aleph boards, plus a full BZLS preamp for that price. I guess if you can make use of all the boards it would be worth it, but for just the two aleph boards that would be pretty steep. Both boards are kind of a "cost no object" approach, so the parts on them are pretty much top notch. I can send you the .PCB files if you want to check them out, or I guess I could do some more screen shots if you have no means of viewing the Altium files.

Let me know as soon as you can if you'd be interested. This goes for anyone else too!

Cheers,
Owen C.

Hello Owen, thanks for the info. Tell me more of this relay control board and such. Are they seperate from the Preamp boards them selves? I am definately interested if all the boards you speak of are independant and not inter related. I would like to use them with my own X-CCS-BOSOZ boards.

When do you plan on ordering the boards.

BTW I also do all my own machining and such. I still have a bunch of big Heatsinks, but maybe buying the 65340 from R-theta soon in 12" sections for $60 CAD finished.

Here is what I have been working on, the Aelph-X Chassis is for stereo operation I built it from all surplus materials.

Regards

Anthony

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Aleph 2 PCB's available

Anthony,

Good news if you're still interested in the Aleph 2 PCB's...

I placed my PCB order with PCBexpress today for a quantity of 8 Aleph 2 monoblock PCB's. I ditched the idea of the giant board because it exceeded thier size constraints. This brings the total price for all 8 boards to $397 USD. I'll be selling the extra Aleph boards for $50 USD each ($100 USD for a stereo pair) along with a parts list of exactly what I used to design the PCB. This is my cost on the boards, and I'm still paying for my own. The reason the price was so high was partially because of the large board size (10" x 7.5") and the addition of the 2.5 oz. copper.

The PCB's are two layer, green solder mask on both sides, white silkscreen on top layer, 2.5 oz copper, plated through holes, and 0.064 FR4 PCB material.

If you're still interested let me know and I'll post a more specific description of the PCB and what parts are used.

Thanks,

Owen

Re: Aleph 2 PCB's available

opc said:
Anthony,

I placed my PCB order with PCBexpress today for a quantity of 8 Aleph 2 monoblock PCB's. I ditched the idea of the giant board because it exceeded thier size constraints. This brings the total price for all 8 boards to $397 USD. I'll be selling the extra Aleph boards for $50 USD each ($100 USD for a stereo pair) along with a parts list of exactly what I used to design the PCB. This is my cost on the boards, and I'm still paying for my own. The reason the price was so high was partially because of the large board size (10" x 7.5") and the addition of the 2.5 oz. copper.

The PCB's are two layer, green solder mask on both sides, white silkscreen on top layer, 2.5 oz copper, plated through holes, and 0.064 FR4 PCB material.

If you're still interested let me know and I'll post a more specific description of the PCB and what parts are used.

Thanks,

Owen

Hello Owen, yes I am still interested, what did you do about your other boards, volume control, input switcher Etc?

Regards

Anthony

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The lost boards

I'll still be sending those other boards out to be made, but it may be another week before I make all the final design changes.

I'll attach my designs so far and you can let me know what you think. If you're interested in a pair of those af well, I can get a price for what extra units will cost. Maybe a set of ten boards would sell here if people are interested. I'd really just like to keep the setup charges spread out!

I'll attach a mock-layout picture to this post followed by some pdf's with the preamp circuits.

Cheers,

Owen

Attachments

• power supply layout.jpg
    power supply layout.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 562

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
PCB layout details

Anthony,

Here are the PCB layout details for the Aleph 2, the preamp power supply, and the preamp signal board with relays.

The input selector isn't done yet, and same for the digital power supply and the microcontroller board. I have the schematics complete, but still working on the layouts.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Later,

Owen

Attachments

• bzls power supply.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 120
Re: PCB layout details

opc said:
Anthony,

Here are the PCB layout details for the Aleph 2, the preamp power supply, and the preamp signal board with relays.

The input selector isn't done yet, and same for the digital power supply and the microcontroller board. I have the schematics complete, but still working on the layouts.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Later,

Owen

Which Amveco's are you specing in Owen?

Re: Aleph 2 PCB's available

opc said:
Anthony,

Thanks,

Owen

Hello Owen, did you get a delivery date for the Aelph PCB's?

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Anthony,

Those boards are due to ship out tomorrow, so I should have them by the end of this week for sure. I'll have them built and tested by Sunday, so I can start the official sales as of then. I'm 99% sure of the layout, but I don't want to be selling anyone stuff that isn't perfect, especially if it has my name on it.

I'm sorry about that PDF not opening... I checked it before upload, but something must have happened between then and now. I spec'd 4 Amveco transformers, all dual 15V secondaries at 15 VA each. All four basically add to give the dual 60 volt taps that the BZLS requires. I picked them mostly for looks to be honest, and the simplicity of having everything on the PCB. All four transformers were actually cheaper than what Plitron quoted me for a single transformer, and they showed up on my doorstep the next day from Digikey.

I'll get another PDF together with all the details, but the 104 KB limit on this site is less than accomodating. If you have a current e-mail address I'd much rather send it to you there and avoid the hassel of trying to make it small enough for this site.

Let me know what would be best,
cheers,

Owen C.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The boards have arrived!

Hey everyone,

The Aleph 2 PCBs showed up a few days ago, and I've completed one and tested it. Everything is perfect, and the boards are officially available if anyone is interested.

I have all the detailed photo's at this site:

http://vv.carleton.ca/~steve/gallery/Owens-Aleph-2

Seeing them put together might answer more questions than writing a description here, but if anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask!

I only have four boards (two pairs) available, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Thanks for looking!

Owen C.

Re: The boards have arrived!

opc said:
Hey everyone,

The Aleph 2 PCBs showed up a few days ago, and I've completed one and tested it. Everything is perfect, and the boards are officially available if anyone is interested.

I have all the detailed photo's at this site:

http://vv.carleton.ca/~steve/gallery/Owens-Aleph-2

Seeing them put together might answer more questions than writing a description here, but if anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask!

I only have four boards (two pairs) available, so it'll be first come, first serve.

Thanks for looking!

Owen C.

Very Nice Owen, $100 for the pair correct.?

BTW never got an email of the PDF files from you.

Regards

Anthony

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Almost Finished Exams...

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for my absence the past few days, I'm right in the middle of final exams, and amplifier construction for my final project has been taking up whatever little time was left.

The good news is that the one completed channel of the Aleph 2 has been up and running for three days straight, and it sounds excellent. I still have those extra PCBs which I guess you'll be taking a pair of, but I'll post the details for all that on the trading post.

As for the preamp details, I'll post those in the next few posts with updated PDF files containing a schematic and a PCB layout.

Thanks for being patient, and sorry again for the delay.

Cheers,
Owen Columbus

Re: Almost Finished Exams...

opc said:
Hi Anthony,

Sorry for my absence the past few days, I'm right in the middle of final exams, and amplifier construction for my final project has been taking up whatever little time was left.

The good news is that the one completed channel of the Aleph 2 has been up and running for three days straight, and it sounds excellent. I still have those extra PCBs which I guess you'll be taking a pair of, but I'll post the details for all that on the trading post.

As for the preamp details, I'll post those in the next few posts with updated PDF files containing a schematic and a PCB layout.

Thanks for being patient, and sorry again for the delay.

Cheers,
Owen Columbus

Are you going to do a pre-amp Chassis ?
I cant find any one that makes a decent already made chassis that i can just drill holes in but also have it look as nice as your chassis you posted. : O )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.