Parts for this crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not much of a crossover builder as I normally have them made for me. Can someone tell me what parts I would need for a basic first order 2-way with a 500hz crossover point and how where to put them in the crossover? I am sure if I knew this I could make it myself and save a pantload of money.

Plus, as long as I have been doing this, I really should know how to do this by now. I need to stop putting it off and start somewhere, ya know?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A text book XO would have a cap in series & a shunt choke on the tweeter, and a series choke & a shunt cap on the mid-woofer. A text book XO assumes a nice resisitive speaker load. In real life such a speaker load is quite rare (i have run into tweeters resistive enuff that a text book XO is not that far off).... they also assume a flat frequency response of the driver far beyound the XO point in both directions ... that is why things get interesting. I try to avoid them whenever possible, and if i can't i prefer to go active.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Seems to me he asked about a first order.

Indeed he did Bill... time for me to go to bed, i read 2-way and grooked 2nd order...

a cap in series on the tweeter, and a choke in series with the woofer is a text book XO... all the rest applies.... with 1st order you can also consider a series XO -- drivers wired in series, a shunt cap on the woofer, and a shunt choke on the woofer.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.