• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Parmeko opt transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have tried to Google for information about these opt's but haven't found anything. The pic shows me that they are 9k trafos which can give 7W.
The secondaries are quite clear but I don't quite understand the primary side.
Please enligthen me :)

Regards

249521333_bca92ca7-91c9-4613-8f87-33736f5c0f61.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A multimeter would answer the question pretty quickly I think. I think this is a PP transformer.

T1 and T2 are taps - probably screen grid for UL operation.

IP - I think is the in phase plate (relative to the tap used for feedback on the output)

OP - I think is the out of phase plate (relative to the tap used for feedback on the output)

CT - Center tap

If you need assistance for their thoughtful disposal just send them to me.... ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The ratios can be calculated since the impedances are known, my suggestion was mostly to confirm by resistive measurements whether my basic premise was correct or not.

Carrying it a step further and determining the ratios would be useful to determine the % tappings of those two taps and indeed that they are connected to the primary winding. Also of course it would verify that the transformers are electrically good before proceeding with a fairly expensive project without that assurance.

They should be very nice transformers..

Hi :)

Measured the resistances:

Opt 1:

CT - T1 = 114,6R
CT - T2 = 94,8R
CT - IP = 475R
CT - OP = 472R
IP - OP = 948R

Opt 2 showed a break at first between CT - T2 and OP...
Opened it but it looked very fresh and I measured at the solderings - it came alive so there is a bad solder joint somewhere. I'll take care of that later.

CT - T1 = 116R
CT - T2 = 94,8R
CT - IP = 484R
CT - OP = 484R
IP - OP = 971R

The outputs shows 1R 1,1R and 1,2R on both.

So they are probably ok :)

I will make the AC test in the weekend.
Will an AC wallwart be ok? How much current is needed?

Regards

Hi :)

Measured the resistances:

Opt 1:

CT - T1 = 114,6R
CT - T2 = 94,8R
CT - IP = 475R
CT - OP = 472R
IP - OP = 948R

Opt 2 showed a break at first between CT - T2 and OP...
Opened it but it looked very fresh and I measured at the solderings - it came alive so there is a bad solder joint somewhere. I'll take care of that later.

CT - T1 = 116R
CT - T2 = 94,8R
CT - IP = 484R
CT - OP = 484R
IP - OP = 971R

The outputs shows 1R 1,1R and 1,2R on both.

So they are probably ok :)

I will make the AC test in the weekend.
Will an AC wallwart be ok? How much current is needed?

Regards

i see nothing unusual here....just do the ac tests, injecting a low voltage of say 6 vac in the secondary will show if you have equal voltages across the primary windings wrt CT, and this is more important than dc resistance alone...

I found some time to make sort of an AC test. The smallest I have gives 7,5V 300mA. Covardly I divided it by means of 2k+1k so the final AC was 3,85V.

The outputs between CT and
T1 = 0,525V
T2 = 0,525V
IP = 2,64V
OP = 2,64V

IP - OP = 5,25V

I expected more so the current must be to weak I think... My resistor network might be too resistant :)
OTOH T1 and T2 are 20% of IP and OP...

Regards

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think the readings are fine, you put much less current through them than you could have, but the readings look useful.

I think the UL taps are around 20% if I haven't confused myself.

I think these would be good for use with EL84s in something similar to the Mullard 5 - 10 design, although the gain is too high for modern amps unless you are using it as an integrated.

You could use the UL taps rather than pentode connection, and operate between 250V - 300V, fixed bias is an interesting possibility as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.