Parallel vs Series Tuned 6th order bandpass boxes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I was discussing 6th order bandpass boxes with someone on another forum and the question came up, just what is the difference in performance between series tuned and parallel tuned boxes?

If you had two boxes with the same chamber volumes and tunings but one was parallel tuned and one was series tuned would they sound any different?

My understanding is that they would sound the same since once you get below the front chamber's tuning frequency the port unloads and then begins to function as part of the rear chamber's port once you get closer to the rear chamber's tuning. Or am I completely wrong and don't know what I'm talking about? That's happened before. :)

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm trying to remember20 years back - seems like when I did a few sims of equivalent response curves of both types in a fixed volume that the chamber volume distribution was different (?) In a way I like series BP as just tuning the front chamber is enough to get something flat, (I have very little experience so leave the good answers to others)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Can you show some diagrams as to what you mean? I think parallel has both chambers vented to outside. I know that the XKi is quasi 6th order but not sure that is the same as series 6th order. The ideal tuning is usually front chamber half volume of rear. For XKi I make it smaller to keep aperture closer to driver for full range like operation and avoid echoing sounds. I think smaller front chamber allows higher upper bandwidth cutoff.

Sure, here is a parallel tuned BP6:
6thordbp.gif

And here is a series tuned BP6:
6thordbp_series.GIF

Please note that the pictures don't really show scale. Generally your rear, lower tuned chamber is going to be much larger than the front.

Series tuned effectively takes a BR box and feeds that into a ported box. One chamber feeds another. Your outer ports need to be huge to avoid chuffing.
You can stagger the tunings (lowest inside) to get a usefully wide bandwidth, or tune the ports to the same frequency to get skull-crushing bass at one frequency. Note that the cone would be held very still at that frequency, so I hope your driver has lots of thermal mass.
Having one port feeding into another means the inner port can have wind noises, which will mostly be masked by the 2nd port.

Parallel-tuned boxes have a port outlet from each side of the driver to the rest of the world, and is what I'd consider a "standard" 6th order bandpass.
Smaller ports can be used since you're not sticking all of your signal down one pipe.

Both methods mask driver distortion in favour of port noise/compression. You can, therefore, use relatively cheap drivers and still get reasonable sound, so long as the frequency response comes out okay.
Note that its important to be careful with bandpass boxes - if they start sounding bad, your driver is already history, and has been complaining for a while.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris! What you said makes a lot of sense to me. What has been throwing me off is the series tuning info I got here: The Subwoofer DIY Page - 6th Order Bandpass Systems

According to that page the rear chamber tuning is determined by a combination of the front chamber port and rear chamber port, which would make it impossible to tune both chambers to the same frequency, the rear chamber would have to be tuned lower.

What you said Chris and what I read on the page I linked both seem reasonable, but they are contradictory. What's your opinion on the info I linked above?

Hmmm...

I'm not convinced that the two ports work together to tune the rear chamber, as is suggested in that link - I see no physical reason the two ports ought to couple in that way.
That said, the guy that wrote it knows his stuff, so its entirely possible I've missed something. Perhaps someone with more experience can have a look.

Unfortunately, I can't simulate this myself as I haven't got around to learning akabak yet. When I've finished my degree, maybe.

Chris

Hi thejessman,

I don't see anything wrong w/ Brian's description, it's probably only a difference in semantics. By definition, the chambers and their tuning cannot be independent.

I found a little paper that explains the different alignment actions in general terms: Basic Operation of the Series Vented Band-Pass Sub-Woofer Enclosure with Pressure Driver Environmental Radiator, by Jeff Anderson & Jason Linse. Here is a link:

http://tara.mmto.org/speakers/theory/series_vented_bandpass.pdf

Regards,

Attachments

• Series_BP6.jpg
    Series_BP6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,575
like a DCR's inner port, below a certain point - both chamber volumes should be seen. I have a little 10" series in storage with Madisound DVC driver with 28-110Hz bandwidth - foam has to be rotted by now.

a fast alignment program like the old "SpeakEasy" would allow some good comparisons

each chamber was the same size ~1.25 cubic feet - here's an old nearport graph
n5gC26v.jpg

in the farfield, the little BP's response had some "saddle"
oye8rKC.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the paper Oliver, while it didn't go into too much detail it did say that the front and rear chamber tunings were very inter-related. Which would support the information given by the page I linked previously. Interesting stuff!

Last edited:
I am out of my depth when it comes to series tuned bandpass. I know the tuning of the inner chamber is lowered by that of the outer chamber, so the port lengths of the inner chamber would be shorter than that of a standard box of similar tuning ported to the outside world.

I'm unfamiliar with trying to find the Helmholtz frequency of the inner box. I did try in Hornresp to model it as a ported pipe feeding into a secondary cavity with a ported pipe to the outside world.

Working out the phase difference between this and how just the front chamber behaves is where my brain turns to mush. AFAIK I haven't found a way to simulate a series tuned bandpass in Hornresp.

Parallel bandpasses are easier to me.

There is a Bose enclosure that feeds both ports of a parallel tuned bandpass into a common ported series tuned outer chamber. I can't get my head around this or even know if it sounds good.

Hmmm...

I'm not convinced that the two ports work together to tune the rear chamber, as is suggested in that link - I see no physical reason the two ports ought to couple in that way.
That said, the guy that wrote it knows his stuff, so its entirely possible I've missed something. Perhaps someone with more experience can have a look.

Unfortunately, I can't simulate this myself as I haven't got around to learning akabak yet. When I've finished my degree, maybe.

Chris

The information on that page actually reflects a discussion that was held with Tom Danley about series-tuned 6th order bandpass alignments on this forum.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is all good stuff and confirms why I am using series 6th order bandpass to provide wide bandwidth, cone motion control, and reduction in harmonic distortion of the driver for my XKi design.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/268524-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass.html

A 6th order series tuned bandpass script in akabak is very simple - it could literally be done in 8 or 10 lines of code. I will post when I get a chance.

The tuning freq overall is definitely linked together - it is a coupled system by definition.

I am seeing very low harmonic distortion over a wide range as cone motion is so small. Will post data when I get everything together.

Hi Y'all,

When I type "bandpass" and "Tom Danley" into the advanced search in the subwoofer forum I get:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/114340-tapped-horn-dummies.html

Using the same search in that thread (this is a great thread, a must read) I get to Post #208: "...In a band pass filter, one can get gain by using a high pass and low pass filter, if they are under damped and placed close enough in frequency, the mid band area “fills in” with a net gain over the bandwidth. That coupled filter effect ties the BP’s gain to the bandwidth..."

I cannot find the discussion Brian referenced in Post #13.

The AkAbak main manual has a nice example of a series-tuned 6th order bandpass on P.64-71, and following a discussion of their Helmholtz dialog.

The individual elements, e.g.: the rear cavity and the cavity connecting duct are basically the same as you would see in a bass-reflex enclosure, but the loading is quite different, and this holds for just about every element in the simulation.

Regards,

P.S.: chris661 you won't have any problem getting into AkAbak, just use a Hornresp Export Akabak Script and have at it. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.