Parallel TDA2052 vs Parallel LM3886 for subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i always remember the adage "keep it simple stupid" (KISS)

you may want to look into some other amp options, lm4780 springs to mind, aswell as some of the stk range, for me there are enough designs out there and you can buy boards for bridge or paralleling at the switch of a jumper with lm4780, not recommending them but ive heard good things about the diy chipamp.com lm4780 kits. they will do every thing you need and sound good, and be easier to set up.

on heat sinks, its not the shape that counts but the degree rise per watt disipated, a long thin sink MAY dissipate more than a short deep one IF its designed properly to flow air and transmit heat along its length, look for the rating (lower is better) i used to use solid alloy bar to conect two small sinks together.
have fun, steve.

Clear. I will wire the drivers in series to have a 4 ohm load to the amp.

A 3886 can supply ~50W into a moderate reactance 4ohm speaker.
A 3886 cannot supply 50W into a moderate to severe reactance 4ohm speaker.

So the conclusion is 3886 can drive 4 ohm load but cannot always be guaranteed.
It can always drive 8 ohm loads.

How is TDA7293 with such moderate to severe reactance driver loads?
How does one make out whether the driver provides a low, moderate or severe load to the amp?

Who determined that Le and Qe should be kept at those low levels and who
chose 2ohm as the only way to meet that specification?

I did. Due to the following reasone

1) The drivers were intended to be woofers with a good higher frequency response.
2) I read that drivers with low Le are better (www.adireaudio.com/Files/WooferSpeed.pdf).
3) I wanted the flexibility to use servo (I have a total of six drivers) so, I thought, a low Le would help the amp see a better load.
4) Higer Qts would require more eq to get the response in the lower octave.

I would go further and say that a 4ohm speaker is not a good load for a chipamp that is to be driven hard. 8ohm is much better.
Clear. Unfortunately chip amps are the only route I can take since I dont have access to other amps in terms of the parts in the local market.
So using 2 chips in parallel for every 4 ohm is the only option for me if 4 ohm is difficult for each chip.
The chips are priced quite low anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Goldy

I agree that multiple chips is not the way to go but the BPA 200 can run coolly if you use the servo op amps suggested and the Adjusting a pot to set the output offset of each chip is a nonsense.

The actual.output power is higher than 200 watts but in reality a Class D amp would be a better option.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.