• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Parallel NJM4556AL two stage amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ODA V2.0 price list update + panels update

I've attached a revised V2.0 price list below and out at the Google Drive link. Two changes:

* In the USA just add $5.50 for shipping and I'll refund any excess from that. I learned today that several boards and parts will fit in one of the USPS "flat rate" boxes which go for $5.50, which includes tracking and insurance. For single board orders though I'll still use an padded envelope since that would be cheaper.

* I forgot to say that the mounting kit also includes two #4 "truss head" screws that are for securing the RCA jacks to the panels. The screws just go through a hole in the panel and screw into a hole in the jack.

And an update on panels. The rear panel I ordered from front panel express has shipped and should be here in a week. Once that arrives and I can verify the measurements I'll post the FPE CAD file. The front panel is the same as the last ODA version, but I made a subtle mistake in translating the file from Proto Panel to their FPE designer. I'm in the process of re-doing it. I'll post that front panel file next week out at the Google Drive link under a "panels" fiolder.

O2 headphone amp booster board V3.1 boards

I've finished my testing on the new V3.1 O2 booster boards that arrived last week. I'm ready to ship boards out. Everything is priced at-cost for the DIY effort. The gerber files have also been posted now for anyone wanting to do their own run of PC boards.

The O2 booster board is a small "T" shaped PB board that replaces the NJM4556A ouput chips in NwAvGuy / RocketScientist's O2 headphone amplifier. It just plugs into the U3 and U4 IC sockets on the O2 and slides into the top slot of the O2 case. The booster board sits above the parts in front of the O2 PC board and doesn't interfere with the batteries. If you have an ODAC mounted in the O2's battery area or under the O2 PC board the O2 booster board will still fit just fine. The board is mostly surface mount parts and does require a lot of surface mount soldering, although I've kept everything to the larger 1206 size.

All of the materials are in the project's Google Drive link here

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B67cJELZW-i8Vmp5MDVLNzJxTGc&usp=sharing

Then go to the "4_22_2014 V3.1 with relay fabricated" folder. At the link you will find the schematic, layout, a part ID digram which is helpful during the build. the Bill Of Materials that you buy from Mouser, the build instructions, and a bunch of build photos.

The "orders and price list" folder at the link has the prices including shipping costs. I'll be sending a PM to everyone on the order interest list to go ahead an paypal your payment if still interested. Please be sure to include your DIY Audio name and your mailing address in the notes section of the Paypal, and if you want to buy a relay (see below). I'm accepting payment by paypal only on this one, sorry but no checks.

One hiccup has cropped up. Mouser is out of stock of the relay until September. Digikey has a bunch of them though, so I'm going to have relays available too (on the price list now) so you can avoid having to send a separate order out to Digikey. If you want relay(s) just include them in your pal and please add that to your Paypal note. If you buy relays your order won't ship out until Thursday or Friday since I have a order into Digikey right now.

All boards come with the connection pins this time. The pins are the other thing that would otherwise have to come from Digikey (and they only sell the pins in strips of 64). For the last V3.0 board run I had those optional, but everyone bought the pins. This time I'm just including them and have added that to the board price. I already have the pins here so they won't delay the order.

Also appologies up front but I'm not selling any parts kits. You have to get all the parts directly from Mouser, Digikey, or other sources. The BOM has Mouser and Digikey part numbers.

I've had some inquiries about assembled booster boards. I've set up a rather crude website at AGDR Audio and will be selling assembled boards for $129 plus shipping. Those are custom-built when ordered, so it may take around 10 days to ship as time permits on my end to build things. The parts on the BOM add up to about $48 from Mouser, ncluding the LEDs, so doing it yourself is definitely the cheapest way.

Last edited:
O2 Desktop Amplifier (ODA) V2.1 SMD-only stuffed PC boards available

I've just posted the availability of some at-cost PC boards for the V2.1 ODA project in the headphone forum here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...ersion-o2-desktop-amp-oda-12.html#post4014115

That is the bare PC board, which uses some surface mount (SMD) parts along with a lot of through-hole parts. The surface mount parts solder in on both sides of the PC board. I tried to use through-hole parts everywhere I could on the board, going to surface mount only where I had to due to space limitations. The PC board is 80mm x 160mm 4-layer that fits in the Box Enclosures B4-080 case. I also primarily used the larger 1206 size surface mount parts for easier soldering.

I've had several requests for ODA boards with only the surface mount parts soldered on, so folks could DIY the rest of the through-hole parts themselves. I've decided to make those partially SMD-stuffed boards available on an as-time permits basis. I'm going to charge $39 (USD) for the labor to solder on the SMD stuff, in addition to the cost of the SMD parts which currently are about $32 total. At the project's Google Drive folder here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B67cJELZW-i8N0dMYUlyTmVIczg&usp=sharing

Go to 80 x 160mm -> 7_9_2014 V2.1 -> Bill of Materials -> BOM of SMD parts only. If you spot a current Mouser price that is lower I'll use it, just let me know. They are changing the part prices around all the time.

The pricing and ordering information for the PC board itself remains the same, and is at that same Google Drive link above but in the "orders and price list" folder -> price list. That file also has information on shipping and packing costs, paypal information, and an example at the end to add it all up.

So, for example, if you wanted this partially stuffed SMD board you would add $32 from that SMD bom for the SMD parts, then add the $39 labor to the example prices in the price list. I'm going to build each of these boards up after they are ordered, on a time-available basis, so plan on about 5 days for the board to be built and shipped. Please PM me if any questions about it all!

Please note: there is one big potential hiccup with these SMD-prestuffed ODA boards. There is no way to test the surface mount soldering work until the through hole components are added. So it is entirely possible there might be a bad suface mount joint on one of the parts that you will have to find and re-solder once the thruogh hole parts are added. The good news is that it will be vastly easier just touching up a single end of an already-soldered surface mount part than doing them all from scratch. I'm also getting pretty good at it. :) In the two V2.1 ODA boards I build for test I didn't have one single bad SMD joint, including the ICs. Kind of surprised me too! :D If you do wind up with a bad SMD solder joint somewhere it will be pretty easy to find, based on what isn't working. I can help troubleshoot via PM or email. To touch up a SMD joint, just heat that end of the part with your iron and apply a little solder. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:
SMD stuffing price change for the ODA

I'm unfortunately going to have to change the labor price to SMD-stuff an ODA board to $59 from the $39 in my post above. I just did one and realized I had underpriced it vs. the time involved. About half the time spent with surface mount parts is taking them out of the various packages and moving them around with the tweezers it seems. The parts themselves are still $32.

So a ODA board with the SMD parts stuffed would be $15 (at-cost board) + $32 (at-cost SMD parts) + $59 (labor to stuff the SMD parts) = $106.

I am very interested in this headphone amp. Been reading about the O2 for weeks and the ODA for the last couple of days. Do you sell a kit that comes with everything needed to build a completed amp?

Hi, I just sent you a PM with some information. But I've been meaning to update this thread for awhile so now is a good time. :)

I've had to raise the price of the ODA board with SMD part to $145 (includes shipping to anywhere in the USA) just due to me seriously under-estimating the time it takes to fish out all those components from storage and solder them all on. I guess that didn't really notice for the first couple of boards because I am so jazzed about the project, but after 10+ of them now I definitely am watching the clock when soldering. :)

BUT I would highly encourage anyone to give the surface mount stuff a try themselves if you already have some through-hole soldering experience, a soldering station, a board vise, and some tweezers. I have instructions for SMD soldering in the build instructions. All the information needed to build the ODA yourself is posted at the Google Drive link in the first post of the ODA thread, including the Gerber files to have the boards fabricated. There is no requirement or need to buy anything from me, in the spirit of what NwAvGuy did with the O2 headphone amp.

I don't sell any parts kits just due to the time involved in bagging everything up. Plus the chances of a part being bad. All the Mouser part numbers are in the BOM and with Mouser everything comes all bagged up and labeled. They are also good about replacing bad parts. The one exception is any parts that are out of stock at Mouser at any given time. I may have those - contact me if you run into that situation.

Thanks for your interest in the ODA project!

Last edited:
Agdr, no surplus boxes and panels? :)

For the ODA? Nope. :) I just order the cases and panels as needed.

Last month I ordered a set of ODA front/rear panels for a fellow using the blank panels that come with the B4-080 case. Takes a bit of time. 2 business days to ship the case from Allied to me, 4 biz days to mail the blank panels from the case to Front Panel Express, a week for them to drill and engrave the panels, then a week for their UPS shipment to get back to me, then a couple of days for me to box them up and ship them out.

I don't mark up anything with the panels since they are already so ridiculously expensive from Front Panel Express (but they do great work). That last set cost the person:

B4-080 case from Allied Electronics, including shipping to me and tax (I'm in Texas and so is Allied) = $27

USPS small box flat rate shipping to FPE, includes tracking and postal insurance, to ship the 2 blank panels from the B4-080 case to FPE = $5.80

FPE drill/engrave for the front panel = $44.44

FPE drill/engrave for the rear panel = $32.30

Their shipping cost back to me, via UPS = $4.95

Then my cost to ship to the person, overseas with postal insurance= $12.50

Grand total for the two panels = $126.99

Front Panel Express is owned by Schaeffer AG, so outside of the US they are probably the best way to go:

Schaeffer AG: Front Panels

And Farnell has the Box enclosures cases. But if anyone is interested in having me run their ODA panels and ship, happy to do it with no markup. Just let me know. :)

Original O2 Headphone amp red LED MV5764.MP4B 638-MV5764.MP4B

The original red LED in NwAvGuy's O2 headphone amp is apparently out of stock until June at Mouser, D7 on his BOM, Mouser part number 638-MV5764.MP4B or Everlight part number MV5764.MP4B. I have those for $4.00 USD (US Dollars) plus actual postage cost to your location. I'm testing them before they ship. $0.75 of that $4.00 covers the cost of the padded postal mailing bag and small anti-static bag and another $0.75 covers paypal's fee [2.9% + 50 cents for US and 3.9% + 60 cents for international] so you are paying $2.50 USD for the actual LED.

I accept only paypal payments. Sorry but no checks, money orders, cash, or other forms of payment.

One thing to be aware of: to keep postal costs down I'm going to ship US Postal Service as a "first class package" which does not include insurance or tracking, so if (any) of the post office(s) along the way loose it and it doesn't arrive I'm not going to send out replacements. You would have to buy again. Sorry about that, but the alternative at the Post Office here is some ridiculous price to ship it with insurance and tracking. This is the only way I can think of to keep the postage cost down. This type of shipping can also be painfully slow going overseas - I've seen them sit 3-4 weeks in customs - so be patient it may take upward of 2 months (seriously!).

If you are willing to pay more for shipping and want a faster shipping method with tracking, send me a PM about 2 day Priority Mail for $5.80 anywhere in the US, or for outside the US their USPS international priority mail, international express priority mail, or DHL express all of which add another $20 or $30 to the shipping cost.

If interested send me a PM! :)

Last edited:
more about the O2 red LED...

The first class postage is $3.37 for addresses here in the US, and for the US that would include tracking. For outside the US the first class shipping is actual cost, whatever it turns out to be - PM me for a quote.

The price in the above post is only for folks registered here on the forum, and limited to one LED per person. :) I also have them for sale elsewere at a higher price.

The first class postage is $3.37 for addresses here in the US, and for the US that would include tracking. For outside the US the first class shipping is actual cost, whatever it turns out to be - PM me for a quote.

The price in the above post is only for folks registered here on the forum, and limited to one LED per person. :) I also have them for sale elsewere at a higher price.

Two years later, is this offer still going or do you have any left? Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.