• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

parallel 2x KT88 per channel SET?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Parallel output pentodes is “not a problem” as long as done right. The trick of course is getting each valve to share the workload pretty closely with respect to its neighbors.

The key is to get ahold of the planned schematic, and to post it here. There are scores of eyes and minds eager to consider the planned amp and critique its designers' choices of components, topology, values, assumptions and working realities.

This is why it is hard to answer your question “any advice on parallel KT₈₈ …?” No diagram, nothing (yet) to talk about. Good luck: the designer in Thailand may regard coughing up the schematic as proprietary. But it is YOUR money. Get the schematic. Be an unrepentant dog about it. It is your money.

GoatGuy

All good points. I was wondering why I couldnt just have a single KT150 per channel w decent transformers etc

Power needed, I think 22w minimum for the speakers

I will try to get as much info as possible, ie the other tubes etc
May not be able to get the schematic.. this is Thailand. Expats here will understand..

I'm sorry Bill… but whether “its Thailand” or not, the premise is weak: the idea that you're going to buy a custom made amplifier from a bunch of nice guys who are going to build it with parallel output tubes, but which you cannot audition in advance and you can't get a copy of the design, is bûllsnot.

If you were one of my kids, I'd shout at him: “Run, you silly boy!”
Seriously?

By the same token, you asking, “so what's all y'all's advice on this?” begins to reek of the banal. You haven't taken the Thai Nice Guys to task for withholding a schematic, “because its Thailand”, yet you're soliciting an opinion of what all might be worth keeping an eye out for. Weak, Bill. Weak.

Get the schematic.
Post here.
We'll look at it, critique the choices.
And - supposing the Nice Thai Guys actually mod-and-build to spec - you will likely be happier.

Just saying.
(I have a huge headache / excuse my dyspepsia…)

GoatGuy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.