• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Paradise Phono Preregulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Says who, the Al...O guy in the cell-ar who just beta-measured a few thousand cheapos ? :clown:

Sorry dude why the attack? me going boo boo mummy bad kid calling me names.:D not for a minute

Japan manufacture R-cores cost me more +2 decades ago than Selectronic charges now, I'd be scared to hear what the price label for original Japanese reads at the moment.
Afair on this forum, the quotes of US R-core manufacturers was scary enough.

(folks with limited mileage, and avid fashion magazine readers, may be better off sticking to the standard BOM and flatblocks. No ?)

Exactly the point that I was tryiing to put across is it not? ;)

IMO if any of the surmentioned limited mileage ones need help do not worry about nasty Vogon and just ask ;)

Not intended as such, guv'nah.
Merely illustrating that picking a different route usually means more labor, not less.
(think I've been giving plenty info on R-cores here over the years, also on other fora, e.g. the ranocchi at hcfr.fr and the principesse at analog-forum.de)

Eer, and you were the one who started out here as Al. , not S....o, or A...s....o.
Unless you prefer me to write it out in full :clown:

Na for once I suspect I got meaning of it unless it doe's involve square Roth of -1
In which case could not read the thing.

Main thing is that if somebody was tepmted to go R core now he knows that is either labor of love or fork out big dosh for Jappos.

But block trafos do prety well so why bother.

If one realy realy realy want's to be extremley extra fussy one could ask about efects of trafos near mettalic objects (EG capacitors metall or cokes)
But don't ask me as my big hammer in this case is to keep them far away

But block trafos do prety well so why bother.

Ah, but the Looney finger was not pointing at you, but here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/222164-paradise-phono-preregulator-6.html#post3436698 :clown:
(fussy ones should know there's an R-core available that fits on the P-board, plus the striptease & knob twisting part)

Folding 2 feet on a piece of sheet metal is less "extremely extra" than using three cases, imo.
(for which there is enough space on the board. Plus at the sides, or directly at the standoff stud holes next to the Talema coils, for mounting a fold-out foot)
Goes both for block transformers, and 'others'.

Attachments

• Sphinx Phono.jpg
    Sphinx Phono.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 375
  • sphinxintern.jpg
    sphinxintern.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ah, but the Looney finger was not pointing at you, but here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/222164-paradise-phono-preregulator-6.html#post3436698 :clown:
(fussy ones should know there's an R-core available that fits on the P-board, plus the striptease & knob twisting part)

Folding 2 feet on a piece of sheet metal is less "extremely extra" than using three cases, imo.
(for which there is enough space on the board. Plus at the sides, or directly at the standoff stud holes next to the Talema coils, for mounting a fold-out foot)
Goes both for block transformers, and 'others'.

I like r-cores... never had any issues... used many :)

So you are saying that the R-core you posted would fit these boards, at least have same pinout - but is a bit wider/longer?

If so this becomes quite interesting...
Also, why would it be looney wanting r-cores? they are better, and price difference is not THAT big?

fit these boards

I posted that a 14VA R-core can fit on the board (weighs 3oz/85gr more than the flatblock)
Didn't say it has the same pinout, but the R-core plastic mounting plate is easy to adjust.

Better ? If you buy a Kitamura original, sure.
But that fun does about €100 for an R-50, 4 times the meal ticket of a Shilchar.
(~ €75 if you buy direct from Kitamura's sale company in Japan, €20 each discount if you order 10, plus addition of the extra travel expense to Europe)

What goes for toroids, is also valid for R-cores.
On top of that, to get the most out of an R-core, requires that the windings of left and right bobbin are perfectly matched.
If you don't, the FL (FLachtransformator) blocks are a better choice.
They're split-bobbin manufacture (Zweikammer) and have been for as long as I can remember, with exception of Schaffer maybe.
There's hardly a stray field from a fully resin encapsulated 14VA, add a steel sheet shower curtain and there's nothing to worry about.
Plus you can easily return it for a replacement if it's faulty.

5 years ago you posted you were a bit of a fresh arrival, ready to do surgery ?

(me is a bit of a looney, but don't tell anyone)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.