Paradise Builders

Well established grounding techniques are more than sufficient to ensure complete absence of hum in a single transformer PS. In this respect the Paradise is no different to any other high gain phono pre. The dual mono design may simplify grounding in particular circumstances but is most definitely not a requirement. It may, otoh, have sonic benefits, although taking into account the separate regulators i wonder how much could it possibly help.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
After playing around with grounding the R3 now is almost hum-free except at high volume but i suspect that is just with any phono stage. Will still be looking at the compensatory caps-Thanks Frans and the Faraday cage suggestions as per Alfred.:D

good to hear, many thanks
the "cage" idea is actually the result of one of JG' s postings over at the "blowtorch" thread to which john curl responded. JG uses blnk PCBs for that purpose, i found (relatively) cheap copper sheet metal at the local home depot for the same thing...

credit where credt is due ;-)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks guys and my thanks in return for designing the Paradise :cheers:
At the moment the p/s consists of a 50VA transformer;two bridge rectifiers and two 10,000uf caps feeding both channels and is completely silent.The finished article will have dual supplies with CLRCLC p/s pcb's[thanks Simon]
Once again a big thank you to all; back to listening.

One day like this

I'm in Paradise now!

Its running without any hum or hiss, just music!

PSU under the Trio/Kenwood,
Paradise on the left:

IMGP2984.JPG
[/IMG]

IMGP2987.JPG
[/IMG]

Thank you all so much for any help and hints,
Christoph

currently i´m adding a million solderpoints in the signalpath for a input imp. switch..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My 2 cents if I may
I have been using dip switches for quite a while and the same as you do
but you have to many wires there as clever paradise boards have spare set of input pins nothing is stopping you to solder the compensation there
after all you just putting a resistive value in parallel to the cartridge winding.
and if constant fiddling is not required this can be done on Little daughter board to fit perfectly maybe even with smd components.
what about same capacitors loading?

My 2 cents if I may
I have been using dip switches for quite a while and the same as you do
but you have to many wires there as clever paradise boards have spare set of input pins nothing is stopping you to solder the compensation there
after all you just putting a resistive value in parallel to the cartridge winding.
and if constant fiddling is not required this can be done on Little daughter board to fit perfectly maybe even with smd components.
what about same capacitors loading?

ahhh, many thanks to hinting me on that. I understood and will change. signal direct to pcb and the loading in extra line between the spare input option. :), clever.
best regards,
stefan