Paradise Builders

Here is a plot of the input current against frequency at 500uV input.

From this you can calculate the input resistance.

But now input capacitance? ... mmm how to do that :) the problem is, it seems that the input impedance goes up at the high frequency range, making it an input inductance. Also the impedance slopes down (a bit) at the low frequency end of the graph, making the input capacitance seem very, very... small.

Obviously I do not have a clear cut answer.

Attachments

• Paradise Input Current @ 500uV.JPG
    Paradise Input Current @ 500uV.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Measure/Simulate the bandwidth at a point before the RIAA filter with two largely different voltage source impedances. Any difference to narrower bandwidth should be due to input capacitance that you can reverse calculate. Measurement should be more reliable than simulation because the real total input capacitance includes connector and layout contributions beyond possibly doubting the transistor models for detail.

But now input capacitance? ... mmm how to do that :) the problem is, it seems that the input impedance goes up at the high frequency range, making it an input inductance. Also the impedance slopes down (a bit) at the low frequency end of the graph, making the input capacitance seem very, very... small.

Obviously input resistance depends on used load resistor but native impedance (no load resistor ) would be around 10k ( depending on the 100k pot setting) am I right ?
Could someone clarify Paradise gain , is it ~62dB?
Another question , MIIB RIAA is rigged towards more "exiting" kind of sound which one would give more flat response R.Cruz or Salas@

Obviously input resistance depends on used load resistor but native impedance (no load resistor ) would be around 10k ( depending on the 100k pot setting) am I right ?
Could someone clarify Paradise gain , is it ~62dB?
Another question , MIIB RIAA is rigged towards more "exiting" kind of sound which one would give more flat response R.Cruz or Salas@

Stupid me :) I did overlook the load resistor, now I have to do it all over, good catch!

Again, but now removed the loading resistor, looks like 2.8k input impedance.

P.s. Seems to indicate [capacitive] loading at frequencies higher as 100kHz, probably due to the input capacity.

Attachments

• Paradise Input Current @ 500uV.JPG
    Paradise Input Current @ 500uV.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
This is (again) inconclusive (in simulation) the source impedance is stepped 10, 1k and 10k the graphs at the input of the RIAA look (almost) equal.

Someone needs to measure :)

Again, now the loading resistor removed and stepped from 10R up to 100kR still inconclusive, still someone needs to measure :)

Attachments

• Paradise BW before RIAA @ 10R...100k generator R-ser.JPG
    Paradise BW before RIAA @ 10R...100k generator R-ser.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 224
And finally, generator impedance 10R...100kR measured at RIAA but non lineair parts of the RIAA removed, so that any BW limit due to input capacity may be more clear.

Still inconclusive :(

P.s. I could simulate over 100kHz but I do not know the validity of that?

P.s. But (see next posts) one may come to some conclusion? again the validity of that?

Attachments

• Paradise BW before RIAA @ 10R...100k generator R-ser no RIAA attached.JPG
    Paradise BW before RIAA @ 10R...100k generator R-ser no RIAA attached.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
From the graph it seems to be over 100kHz(?), using 2.8kR and 100kHz the capacity would be less than 580pF (now please will someone measure!) :) And (as indicated by Salas) do not depend to much on this number (maybe the only thing to bet on this is your mother in law).

P.s. The input current plot from post #4087 seems to indicate the same.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Would also indicate a Ft over 100kHz, giving simulation limits I would say inconclusive. And if an conclusion would be made, the Cin will be less than 600pF (as before).

Agree?

P.s. I think that 4Mhz is not realistic for the non-virtual (an actual build) version of the Paradise.

Someone needs to measure!

Agree?

P.s. 660kHz will be less than 100pF (not to be trusted :)).

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Alas, that <100pF indication can't be trusted as the real. Being transimpedance it makes things more complicated because Rs affects the gain changing the Miller.

p.s. Full circuit is flat 40kHz -3dB in sim when the RIAA filter is disconnected. But when probing at the input stage collectors it goes much wider.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
About an officially valid Spice file I would leave the choice to the guys who developed the circuit but for measurement (which is the best approach) I attach a most practical method for finding the input capacitance of tube phonos. Where there is a plate there is a collector so why not applicable here too. This table guide has been originally posted by kevinkr who is an expert contributor mainly in the forum's tubes section and an electronics engineer by profession.

Attachments

• C_Miller Test_Table.PNG
    C_Miller Test_Table.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 497