Paradise Builders

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi there.

Finally I got the time to power up my paradise and do some measurements at our physics laboratory.
The pictures show the supply voltages (+/- 18V)without and within the caps for the distortion treatment.
the signal can be influenced by turning or tilting the pcb.
Though I think the signals are influenced by the enviroment. -No problem with the paradise.

Does anyone agree?

The supply is a simple one with only one Transformer.

Hi GandRalf,

this Looks like the amplifier is oscillating. Congratulations, this seems to be the second confirmed case (out of 670 boards, that is). Please check the assembly guide for how to fix that, there is a description in there. Hope that helps!

(why say sorry for €15K Agilent scope pictures :clown: )

Believe me. -It took a whole lesson for me, by the lab. ing., to use it. :D

@ hesener:

Congratulations, this seems to be the second confirmed case
Do I have to be pleased?

Yes I know that remedy to solve, but was unsure about the signallevel.

I thought this could be external interference. Cause the boards were not shielded and powered by a simple supply at the same time.
I will try to test each board at its own.

-If I get a new chance to use the lab...:rolleyes:

...So besides the PSU J109 -> J113 replacement, is there any other changes that is recommended to do?
I read somewhere about J107 replacement, is that something to look at or is it perfectly fine as it is?
I haven't started building, since i'm working on other projects - but i'm going to order components so i'll have them ready when i start...

Added the picture to be more clear. In the lower part of the picture, the Dale resistors between the green 1uF caps and the transistors are the ones that should be 1k after changing to J310 to J113

Attachments

• j310.jpg
    j310.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 458
These transistors have driven me mad over the course of two builds. I've had awful matches, with little overlap between 327 and 337. Then yesterday i get 100 337 from farnell and more than 50% of them measure between 390 and 420 for Hfe.

So I now have the input stage matched with identical values across both channels, not 1% or 5% but the exact same values. Every other 327 and 337 on both channels is matched within 1%.

Crazy..

I must say I'm quite excited to power this up and measure it to see if it is any different to my 5% build.