Paper cone tweeters for paper cone mids?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Im not sure if the WLM speaker uses an OEM version of the Visaton. Its hard to tell from the photos.

I now have the galaxy set up with a seas ER18 crossed steeply at 500hz with DSP. There is A LOT of EQ to the Galaxy to flatten the peaky rising response. Some observations:

- Response drops off sharply at 15khz. My hearing stops there anyway so I don’t feel like I am missing anything.
- Off-axis response is ok for driver of this size (4.5 -inch)
- Smooth and dynamic
- It can get very loud and stay clean for long periods of playing music without even a hint of compression (The seas woofer can’t keep up obviously). The heatsink-frame and vents to the motor seem to work well.
- The 500hz crossover is undetectable despite being roughy implemented.
- Bass and midbass sounds clearer, probably due to the upper harmonics being reproduced cleanly by the galaxy.

I much prefer this setup to any of my 2-ways and to other full range drivers I have tried (Visaton B200 and Fostex 207E) despite its shortcomings. I feel that adding a tweeter isn’t completely necessary but I’ll drop one in anyway.

Im not sure if the WLM speaker uses an OEM version of the Visaton. Its hard to tell from the photos.

I now have the galaxy set up with a seas ER18 crossed steeply at 500hz with DSP. There is A LOT of EQ to the Galaxy to flatten the peaky rising response. Some observations:

- Response drops off sharply at 15khz. My hearing stops there anyway so I don’t feel like I am missing anything.
- Off-axis response is ok for driver of this size (4.5 -inch)
- Smooth and dynamic
- It can get very loud and stay clean for long periods of playing music without even a hint of compression (The seas woofer can’t keep up obviously). The heatsink-frame and vents to the motor seem to work well.
- The 500hz crossover is undetectable despite being roughy implemented.
- Bass and midbass sounds clearer, probably due to the upper harmonics being reproduced cleanly by the galaxy.

I much prefer this setup to any of my 2-ways and to other full range drivers I have tried (Visaton B200 and Fostex 207E) despite its shortcomings. I feel that adding a tweeter isn’t completely necessary but I’ll drop one in anyway.
I like two way concepts where the midrange transducer is suitable for full range application. Then I have the choice between point source operation mode (without tweeter) and two way operation mode after put out/in the connector for configuration at my crossover network.

BTW - check out this
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...eeter-overview-without-ferrofluid-wanted.html

The article tells that the WLM speaker is using Visaton drivers ;)

It looks like the drivers are the W200S(the 4 ohm has better sensitivity) for the bass and the TW70 for the upper frequencies. The filter looks very simple too, if anyone wants to sketch up a filter I think I will try to build these speakers.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thanks, I thought there was a local clone of this speaker way back when.

The article tells that the WLM speaker is using Visaton drivers

Sure, but they could still be OEM versions. From the 6moons review:

The turn-over frequency is a low 1.200Hz at a shallow 6dB/octave with a minimalist filter to avoid losing efficiency

Not possible with the TW70.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.