Paper Cone Treatments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also lately mass has been added only at the edge of the cone to cancel out undesirable resonances at certain frequencies.
This is, sorta, one of the things i do to the cone/surround interface on the Fostex drivers to kill edge resonance.

Those who are only considering the mass, should consider that most of the benefit comes from the binding of the surface layers of the paper fibres.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A reference to concentric flex.

The key to the performance of any single cone FR. How well behaved the decoupling of the outer part of the cone as the frequencies go up… if you don’t get that perfect you get no measureable resonances and the dispersion is much better thru the range. We ar egetting closer but we have a ways to go.

Well controlled 3D printing of metal alloy cones could well help us towards the goal. Still very expensive and there are limited alloys available.

dave

sorry dave i don't think tapping a titanium diaphragm's a good idea they're quite fragile and easily dented, paper cones are more resilient.

i do think size and shape geometry play a role in where on a cone "breaks up" or becomes resonant.

oopps i had the typography bassackwards the "n" is lower case and everything else is capitals...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can't just throw that out without further elaboration don't you know? ;) An explanation is called for don't you think?

The explanation has been out for over a year. We had stock A11ms (in Seastack), stock Eikona (in Hawking Memorial Obelisk), and A10/3eN (in Pensil) @ VI diyFEST 2018. The A11ms came out ahead, with the Eikona next, but the A10.3eN was significantly better at throwing the 3D illusion we hear as imaging/soundspace, one of the things EnABLed drivers in general have shown to exhibit.

Note: all the enclosures, althou somewhat different, are Woden ML-TLs.

A later comparo never happened as no one was willing to disconnect the (better yet) A7.3eN/A12pw MTM WAW.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At this point it is only an arifact of the ear/brain and our evolutionary developed capability of integrating very small details (in conjunction with bigger ones) into the illusion of a 3D soundscape in our heads. You have to trust your ears.

Do note that some 10% (Lynn Olsen’s estimate) of people are not capable of forming this stereo image. One could speculate that that is a reletively recent evolutionary adaptation, otherwise these “guys” would probably be tiger food.

CA198B89-ECAE-49FA-82EB4688CA54EBD1_source.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To me aluminium foil is something used in the kitchen, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration. They are thin though

Ted’s cone is considerably thicker, and might well have some differences in material thickness of the alloy depending on how close to the voice coil it is — a trick that teh Diatone P610 used to improve decoupling behaviour — Japanese tests show how well it did.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.