Panasonic Dropping Through-Hole BJT's...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering where all this nice SMD stuff goes to...I mean have you ever tried to get nice complementary SMD-transistors? Farnell and Digikey list only so few and these guys are really expensive (some small signal ROHM-types for more than 1 Euro per piece).

I'm already using SMD a lot as it allows much smaller boards, but to get the same quality parts in SMD is really difficult, applies also to film capacitors.

I really liked Panasonic's PP caps (also discontinued), I really miss that quality with close tolerance at this price. For through hole one may find replacments, but for SMD I can only choose ceramics or elcos.

Companies should not only phase out through hole parts, but present new good stuff for SMD ;)

Well, still have fun, Hannes

EDIT: by the way, amazing how long you can buy decade old transistors, I was just searching for 2N2905A transistors in metal cans...Amazing still stocked by Farnell! I mean that stuff is used in a 30 years old signal generator!

Last edited:
Really? I didn't know that. It would explain a bit, but I would have thought that Panasonic had the huge Fab facilities, and if anything, it would be the Sanyo catalog that got trimmed.

you re right, panasonic is six time bigger than sanyo...
the latter is a subsidary, now...
well, i suppose that the through hole components
market is now marginal, particularly the audio dedicated
one, no wonder i see here people using crt monitors high
voltage bjts as VAS...and now even these are at stake..

Yes, looks like through hole is on its way out. A lot of manufacturers have dropped these packages. I've started using SMD in my designs and its ok once you get used to it - even for small signal. however, the problem is for VAS stages - looks like the only way forward will be to come up with some creative heatsinking ideas.

As for repair - I agree, the noose is tightening.

Pity - same story as JFETS.

In its place we'll get . . . IC power amps and class D.

Ironically, tubes keep on comin' back!

As I know, Sanyo offers still the old outlines like TO-220 and TO-126 - for an example go to
Search result
for small amount of such Sanyo transistors Farnell is the right delivery source
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...e&locale=en_AU&catalogId=&prevNValues=1002733
have a look also there:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ver-stages-high-power-amplifier-overview.html

Last edited:
If you have some memory, the problem with germanium was limited high frequency response and very limited operating temperature (90ºC or so) so they are not likely to return, but I think they are still used for some specific tasks (at least germanium diodes) due to the low junction voltage.

Have you heard about SiC (silicon carbide)? This is a new semiconductor material that may render current silicon technnology outdated (and this implies phasing out all the high power diode, MOSFET and IGBT stuff being sold now, that you don't like, it seems). I got a few IDT16S60C SiC diode samples that are supposed solve some of the problems with equivalent silicon diodes in fast switching circuits.

Germanium works very nicely in optical applications at longer wavelengths than silicon (i.e. infra red) and there is a thriving industry that continues to generate a demand for high quality crystaline germanium.

SiC is amazing stuff. I was looking at this for high frequency microwave power devices around 20 years ago. North Carolina is a big centre of this stuff, CREE makes a number of SiC electrical products. It has great thermal conductivity, can work at very high temperatures - transistors work even when glowing red hot, has very high electron saturation velocities, can be doped both p and n type (diamond by contrast is harder to make complimentary but has even better properties than SiC) and it is a useful optical semiconductor with a direct bandgap in the UV.

I'd like to see a static induction transistor made from SiC that we could use for audio, it might finally be what we have been waiting for...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.