Painting Heatsinks..I Know..Bad Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to have to disappoint.

No worries..you haven't ;) All that you said is correct, and I have accounted for it.

I didn't post pictures of all the heatsink component's, just the fins. I have the backplates, as well as the big chunks of aluminum used to "spread" the thermal load from single TO-3 diode's to large areas of the sink.

I will be lapping all mating surfaces, and using thermal grease etc. The picture was taken on the floor of my home machine shop, with lathe, mill etc., and if I need apiece I cant find or mill, I can cast a new one in my home aluminum smelting foundry..it's all good :D

-Casey

Casey,

Nice diversion so we cant see what you're up to with the TT !

My painter friends, domestic, auto and aero, tell me you apply paint as thinly as possible to ensure bonding. This applies regardless of whether you are using water based paint, oil based or even epoxy. I suspect that is also the key to what others in the thread have said about heat dissipation effectiveness.

I believe the real trick is the dilution. If you use oil based paint you use thinners, if epoxy, acetone. Surfboard glassers thin their resins to almost water consistency.

As you would know, the other important issue is to etch the metal before painting with a fairly dilute hydrochloric acid.

If it were me, I'd go to an auto shop and buy spray cans of high temp auto engine paint. I've used it on go kart engines that are aluminium where we dont want to affect heat dissipation, and in fact, some people claim it can aid it. The beauty of spray cans is you can apply the paint ever so thinly and go back and do some more in 20 mins.

But as an avid Corian TT obsever, I think I'd be dissappointed if I ever saw you taking an easy way out !

Graeme

" ... Surfboard glassers thin their resins to almost water consistency. ..."

Model airplane builders use alchohol as a thining agent for epoxy = thinner the better when laying up super light weight fiberglass and it works like a charm. In an enclosed place it make one quite tippsie too ... so open the garage door before you being. :smash:

" ... Seems a waste to see all that alcohol vaporise but it sure gives you a kicking headache. ..."

Well it does work ... it does thin out epoxy resin. I have used to several times when laying up RC glider wings, etc. I have a good friend who uses it in his biz and on his boats to get the epoxy to soak in to the wood.

How well epoxy, thin or thick, will transfer heat out of a sink is entirely another question ... ask who has done it before you bother possibly ruining a perfectly good set of sinks.

" ... the tesla turbine thread ..." I built a Tesla Turbine once = worked great as a water pump and water driven turbine. Several broken hard drives = several dozen 5.25" aluminum discs = add holes in the center, shims in between, stack 'em up in a Delrin plastic housing on a good bearing set ... feed 35 PSI water in, thousands of RPMs out ... or drive it with a motor and blow water hundreds of feet into the air = great fun. The plan was to drive it with a water fall to generate electricity, but couldn't get the Nevada County commissioners to go along, Oh well. :smash:

FYI: One gallion per minute @ 1500 PSI ~= 1 horsepower ~= 750 watts.

My quick two cents:

1 - convection is entirely different from conduction
2 - painting may increase the amount of heat radiated more than it decreases the amount of heat convected (due to the insulative properties of the paint), and therefore increase the total heat exchange rate of the heatsink

" ... and therefore increase the total heat exchange rate of the heatsink ..."

Exactly ... almost certainly correct. That is the point of this thread: to discover if here are any coatings that might do a good job of conduction or radiation or transfer of heat away from the sink and away from the sinked devices = hopefully for better device cooling. I believe you are right in many cases, but there may actually be coatings that improve cooling ... Yes? / No? :cool:

Graeme-

You forgot your Ladegaard arm thread and the tesla turbine thread, as if you needed reminding ...

Well, those were actually related to the table (tesla pump for arm, arm for table)..at least that was what I was telling myself ;)

FastEddy-

I built a Tesla Turbine once = worked great as a water pump and water driven turbine.

Works great with air as well (just match the disc spacing to the "fluid" in question).. ol' Nikola was way ahead of his time.

How well epoxy, thin or thick, will transfer heat out of a sink is entirely another question ... ask who has done it before you bother possibly ruining a perfectly good set of sinks.

I'm not sure with the thicknesses were talking about it would make that much of a difference regardless of the "paint" chosen. I'm still considering all the options.

454Casull-

1 - convection is entirely different from conduction
2 - painting may increase the amount of heat radiated more than it decreases the amount of heat convected (due to the insulative properties of the paint), and therefore increase the total heat exchange rate of the heatsink

That seems to be the opinion of the "big boys" linked earlier in the thread. It was this realization that made me decide to follow through with it..painting that is.

-Casey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.