PA speakers help ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YES you absolutely need a big coil in series with the bottom woofer!! Once that's done...

Crossover point helps determine the dispersion angle. If you are using two boxes per side, then a 60 degree dispersion is about right. You want the acoustic crossover to be very roughly somewhere around 1200hz. (depends on the size and shape of the woofer dustcap which is what actually generates the upper mid frequencies and the size/shape of the high horn) The actual crossover frequencies and slopes required to achieve that can only be determined by measuring but you can do ok if you use a generic 24 dB/octave slope. It also helps if you can use separate frequencies for the woofers and tweeter. Take a look at the processor settings for the EAW MK5364, a professional 15"/1.5" install speaker. http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Processor_Settings/Current_Products/MK23_5300_PROCS_rev2.pdf for an example of what is used on a premium product.

Once you have the crossover frequencies set and the time alignment done between the drivers, adjust gain of the horns to match the woofers, THEN apply EQ (most likely some cut between 1k and 5k and some boost between 8k and 20k) to get response flat on axis. You may want to eq for a gently 6 dB/octave down sloping response starting at about 5k or so. (Let your ears decide)

If you do the following, I promise you will get results that are not radically different from the "real thing" premium boxes, at least at lower power levels. Rane analog crossovers have a time delay know that you can adjust by ear while playing pink noise. You will hear the frequencies in the crossover area snap into place. You will be SHOCKED at how good vocals sound if you set your speakers up this way. I am SHOCKED at how many lower priced commercial speakers like yours only achieve 20% of the sound quality they are capable of, regardless of what drivers are in the box. If you want to clean up the lower mids then add some bracing and stuffing into the cabinet including a brace that goes between the front baffle and the rear wall. Bass will also get tighter and punchier! Cheers.

been running the system so far with supreme results and loads of problem free power ... Will keep it as is for this season and proceed with the changes for the next season

still i am so happy with the system ( my costumers and musicians also ) so it is only going to be done if i have time for it .

Just last night had a gig on the beach with a DJ setup where on the "dance floor" was a ...db party and for the rest of the crowd siting around even after 130m away it was enough power to listen from

thank you all for the input ..been very useful !!!

kind regards
sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.