P3A considerations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JojoD818 said:
Hi!

Can I use my transformer that gives rail voltage of +/-63V to a P3A? Do I have to change anything?

I read that I can parallel output devices so can I use 4 pairs of 2SC5200/1943 for the output?

Jojo
That voltage is too high. Parallel output transistors won't help.

In answer to another question: To use parallel output transistors, use emitter resistors 0.1 ohm but otherwise connect them directly together. See ESP project 68 for an example.

JojoD818 said:
If I change all of the transistors to higher voltage ratings, do you think it is possible to use higher voltage rails? Say +/-63V? :)

Jojo
You certainly are persistent.

You may have some trouble finding them. I think at least one of the transistors would end up needing a voltage rating of 100+ volts.
Best is to ask Rod. He's usually pretty good about answering questions if you buy his PCBs.
He has a discussion group at his site now, why not post this question there?

Re: Re: Info on P3A please

Cradle22 said:

But the P3A is one of the simplest, yet best sound class AB amps. Take a look at ESP, there you can find it (also boards you can order, but it can also be implemented on a prototype board).

indeed it can, i am currently building it on strip board (found
here )

however it is hard work, and if i had money i would buy the pcb.

jean-paul said:
The PCB is 25 Euro included shipping.

yeh, unfortanly its also 25E more then i can afford. im on a rapidly running out student budjet, and ive got a drum kit to support. although if i like the sound of the amp, i will consider buying a pcb when i make a hi version if i like the sound, but for high power from a drum kit i dont see the need

I was wondering if this would work :scratch:

Attachments

• p3a-mod.gif
    p3a-mod.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 689
Hi!

JojoD818 said:
Maybe I should just buy the pcb and the recommended parts and PSU to avoid any problems.

Buy PCB from rod and then buy parts locally? Correct?

Jojo

Correctamundo! I get my parts from a multiple places. First I try the cheapest mailorder in Germany (Reichelt), then I get the Panasonic FC electrolytes I always use from Farnell, sometimes also Welwyn RC55 resistors from Farnell, those small cases and a good shielded mains cable from :)rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) Conrad, for semiconductors not found at either Reichelt or Farnell I take a look at RS Components, and BHC SlitFoil caps, O- and R-core transformators from LCAudio and some even more special parts from Thel...
Sadly the variety of semiconductors available is not that great at all of those sites compared to DigiKey et al.

I am lucky that I bought DoZ, DoZ-pre and later the P3A boards from ESP while I still had a credit crad - credit cards are a lot harder to get in Germany than in America, and since the one I had is no longer available, so far four banks (including my "home" bank) have refused me a new card because of myself being a student with no "official" income... but I am persistent... still wnat to try the ESP 300W subwoofer amp later this year, and I want to use premade boards...

Bye,

Arndt

Raising the voltage that much (you are talking about a 50% voltage increase) will probably change the working point of the circuit's elements, so you need at least to re-arrange them a bit.

Output devices can be paralleled but in a different way, look at the 300W subwoofer project at ESP.

The final result is that your project won't be a P3A at all...
If your transformer gives +/- 63V and 80-100W are enough you can lower the rails either regulating the supply or using something like a lamp in series with the primary of the trafo.

If you need considerably more power go for a different project, like Holton's symmetrical amp, or the Leach amp, or whatever you like.

Cheers

Andrea

Andrea,

The only reason why I thought it may work is because I compared it to the 300w esp amp and it has very similar values for the resistors, etc. But it uses a +/-56V supply rail. However Rod said to be careful with the output devices so I will use lots of my stock toshiba devices.

If the mod works fine, if it blows :bawling: I'll just stick to the P3A setup.

Jojo

JojoD818 said:
Hi,

Regarding the P3A, I just want to ask what does R4 and C3 do? Do these parts dictate the frequency responce?

Jojo
Those are feedback components. They determine the gain and frequency response of the amp.
At DC, or very low frequencies, the capacitor acts like an open circuit and R4 and C3 are effectively out of the circuit. There is 100% feedback, so gain at DC is 1. At higher frequencies, C3 becomes more like a short circuit so gain increases to R5/R4 = 22 = 27dB.
C1 also affects low-frequency response. It forms a filter in conjunction with R2.

Just want to tell..

I have just built a modified esp3a amplifier, running at +/-52V, 4 ohms load. Works and sounds good!!!

Powersupply/channel:

One 500VA toroid transformer
Two 47000uF 63V RIFA capacitors.

Amplifier:

Q1, Q2, Q3, Q9 = 2N5550
Q4 = MJE 350
Q5, Q6 = MJE1503x

I use two pairs of Sanken 2SA1216/2SC299 transistors each with a 0R1 5W emitter resistor.

R9, R10 = 3k3

Q4, Q5 and Q6 need to have small heatsinks.

I also placed Q9 (Vbe multiplier) at the top of Q5 to have a very stable bias current.
Otherwise I haven't done more modifications yet, but I'm thinking of increasing the current through the input stage and VAS stage and add degeneration resistors, and a balanced input.

/Freddie

Freddie,

I wish you can update me to any other mods you do so that I can also mod my P3A. Mine is running at +/-63V right now (happily).

Transistors used were:
2N5551
2SD669
2SB649
2SC2344
2SA1011
2SC5200 X2
2SA1943 X2

BTW, I attached (using mica insulators) Q9 to tha main heatsink not knowing if it's really necessary. Any suggestions?

Well, I haven't done any more modifications than replacing a couple of transistors and two resistors, yet!!

/Freddie

Freddie said:

Actually (if I'm not mistaken :) ) The gain is (R5 + R4) / R4 = 23

/Freddie
Yup, you're right. An off-by-one error.

"If I increase or decrease the value of C3, what happens? Does the bass response vary with C3?"
As I mentioned, there are two low-frequency cutoffs. The first has a cutoff (-3dB) frequency of 1 / (2*pi*R4*C3).
The second is 1 / (2*pi*C1*R2).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.