P1.7 / APOX completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
exotic caps

zygibajt said:
Thanks Klaus,

How do you connect those Panasonic caps in signal path?
I mean which way "+" and which way "-"?
Or it doesn't matter?

Bartek

--- in the ALEPH P the caps have ca. 26V at output and 13V at input branch - so the polarity of cause has to be like mentioned in the schematic from the one and only!

In Aleph4 the cap sees no permanent DC offset, so the polarity should be unimportant.

HBarske said:
Klaus,
have you ever tried non-polarized electrolytic caps (Frolyt EKSU for example) for the 220 µF?

I have to admit that I tested no "exotic" parts so far. With the Panasonic FC plus bypass – and that's the break through – I am that satisfied on an extremely high level not to investigate further. Some fellows tested the same and agreed on. The cost for one 220uF FC is ca 50€Cent plus one Euro for this small e.g. ERO1837 foil cap

Farnell...

HBarske said:
I will try that. Where did you buy those capacitors? What voltage rating did you choose for the FC?

Hi,

Farnell has all of it. Farnell is still irritating customers with their online shop. They pretend not to sell to private customers with less than 50€ value. But that is no longer true, for over one year already. Just call them for the first order time and later with the customer ID number also online ordering is no problem. Ignore some hints about payment conditions, minimum order value and no private customers… The service is perfect, over night delivery and fair prices.

I bought 220uF 25V FCs from Schuro longer time ago. I torture them at 27V in my Aleph1.7, but I believe in big reserves of them. At Farnell 35V or 50V types can be bought. Just test it… Maybe you will also like them, the test is really reasonable.

Regards

Klaus

Link to RS Componens

Thank you Andreas for the link.
(Sorry for the name mixup!........) :xeye:

I had a quick look at the site and was impressed by the quality of the provided information with their products.

I think I will be spending a lot more time reading their website..... ;)

Re: Transformers

byteboy said:
Hi Klaus,

Very nice work!

Some questions:

I was wondering where you did get those good looking encapsulated transformers from?

Are they as good as they are looking?

What brand are they?

Are they also available as high VA types?

Hi,

as mentioned before – my lesson learned was that "good locking" tells nothing about the "inner values" of the transformer. To make a transformer (loaded with this peak load of a class A Aleph amp) quiet the transformer has to be perfectly baked with resin. My first encapsulated transformers were from Schuro in Germany (best buy regarding price) – but they hummed like a shaver. The almost equal locking Transformers from Thel are more expensive but really hum free. It stays a try & error, which ones are really of high inner quality…

The links to picture and – sorry – German text: http://www.schuro.de/preisl-trafos.htm and http://www.thel-audioworld.de/bauteile/trafos/trafos.htm I can not recommend the shielded ones from Schuro. The shield seems to create a strong capacity coupling to the primary net, the transformer sounds equal on a bad level at both "polarity directions" of power plug.

Regards

Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.