• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

P-SET EL34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
f20131.jpg

Tube Output Transformer Concept / Pictures | TTRadio
example of high quality se iron, i don´t see "low quality magnetic domains beyond 50% " :D

I'm afraid your curve means almost nothing without measuring the voltage swing compared to the core Bmax and the magnitude of the magnetizing current. The reduced permeability is present all the time with the DC present, so there is no expectation of some kink in the curve, just lowered permeability and higher magnetizing current.

What you need to display is magnetizing current with and without the DC component for the same core and same AC voltage swing. That still does not fully illustrate the difference unfortunately, since you cannot remove the air gap for the non DC case. What you need is an accessible core, where it can be gapped or un-gapped for the comparison tests.

I also don't see any of the extra circuitry for inserting the DC current into the core with AC excitation present (you can not just put DC in series with the AC source xfmr). Most xfmr mfgrs can't even do the test. Takes some big AC film caps and a variable CCS circuit. I have done the real tests here on an Edcor SE OT with the DC insertion capability, and I never considered SE OTs again after seeing the poor results. (not saying there is anything wrong with the Edcor, just SE DC effects) The Edcor has an accessible air gap spacer that can be "removed". (still only gets about 1/2 the permeability without the gap spacer and a big pressure clamp, compared to a real interleaved core)

Last edited:
No, this was a GXSE15 model I tested. The SE DC effects will be fairly similar for any SE OT. Bigger core size per Watt will improve matters. The GXSE just plain runs out of flux at 15 Watts. I imagine the CX series does better than the GX, just from core size.

Last edited:
Such a test is easy to do but most mfgrs are not interested in publishing data because...? afraid or something like that or too lazy? Don't know but it is a shame if they don't give proper data.

I also don't see any of the extra circuitry for inserting the DC current into the core with AC excitation present (you can not just put DC in series with the AC source xfmr). Most xfmr mfgrs can't even do the test. Takes some big AC film caps and a variable CCS circuit. I have done the real tests here on an Edcor SE OT with the DC insertion capability, and I never considered SE OTs again after seeing the poor results. (not saying there is anything wrong with the Edcor, just SE DC effects) The Edcor has an accessible air gap spacer that can be "removed". (still only gets about 1/2 the permeability without the gap spacer and a big pressure clamp, compared to a real interleaved core)

Last edited:
For example, how is made a typical Cold Rolled Grain Oriented Silicon Steel. When huge pieces of steel sheets are made, they are rolled in one direction. Then from this EI are stamped. Therefore, magnetization will not flow in all parts of EI sheets the same path as they been rolled.
C cores sheets are cut and bent, so this is not problem here.

In that link, you can see example power transformer measured BH curve, audio grade iron is often not used due to lower cost, but result is higher loss in iron.

You always doubt everything so for me your concerns are not interesting to me.
Better worry about other transformers which has more problems.
You can start with your own.

Of course one cannot expect a roller coaster. Your resonance is damped almost completely. Your frequency response UNQUESTIONABLY shows a double slope.

Are you sure you did correct measurements? I strongly doubt it.

You always doubt everything so for me your concerns are not interesting to me.
I doubt it because what you show is inconsistent. Of course it is fine for you as you are not aware of what's going on.

Better worry about other transformers which has more problems.
Frankly I don't care about other transformers. I think the discussion was about something else. I would be worried if I had to buy any transformer from you.:)

You can start with your own.
I have already done it. They just work fine unfortunately for you. Someone in this forum happily uses them....buuuuuuuuu.....:D But I don't sell transformers.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.