Ozone and ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well folks, we are back to the problem: easy to smell it here and there but not sure it is a dangerous level.

Surely among the wise persons assembled here from the DIY crowd there must be somebody who knows how to create a tool or strategy for assessing ozone level, even just relatively (without true calibration).

Perhaps something like an ozone generator connected backwards? Mega-mega-ohm air resistance? Photos?*

Ben
*Using ESL builder mortality stats seems too slow a time cycle.

Last edited:
Smells like one more reson to let these fullrang ESL go by the wayside ....
I gess that's why Mr Pass is not making an selling one of his frist plasma speakers ...Ozone almost killed him ....
I move on back in to fullrang Ribbons.... life to short for me to put anymore time in on the ESLs.....just be cause there the best sound I ever heard....cant live with what I know thay could be....but never will be.....the old quest for loud ,low thd. speakers.....
No ozone here....well none I am maken anyway...hehe

.... life to short for me to put anymore time in on the ESLs.....just be cause there the best sound I ever heard....
Speaking of ozone and unobtainables, Ionovac (added to an AR3) was the best sound I ever heard. I can hear it in my mind even today, 50 yrs later.

The glory of great tweeter power are underestimated.

There must be some way Nelson Pass could have assessed the amount of ozone in the air?

Ben

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Smells like one more reson to let these fullrang ESL go by the wayside ....
I gess that's why Mr Pass is not making an selling one of his frist plasma speakers ...Ozone almost killed him ....
I move on back in to fullrang Ribbons.... life to short for me to put anymore time in on the ESLs.....just be cause there the best sound I ever heard....cant live with what I know thay could be....but never will be.....the old quest for loud ,low thd. speakers.....
No ozone here....well none I am maken anyway...hehe

I'm horrified to hear that you are abandoning ESLs, Tyu!

But you should know it wasn't ozone from a typical ESL that overcame Nelson Pass:
http://airspeaker.co.uk/9108CMTHR-IMG-JS-Ionic.jpg

Yea I got that...plasma,ionic...same to me, killer ozone

Fullrang ESL (may)work for those with small rooms ...An Low humidity...
my rooms is big an Fl has High humidity an your output drops Eze 50%
For over 30 years I have tried to get them to play loud for me....NOT.
My ear lovs that low THD....but .life is to short....
Old Apogee Ribbons an Maggy play fine....an give 80-90% of the ESL sound
I can aways play my ML...hehe...there not near fulrang....but thay well play LOUD....well when I re-work the panels thay do...have fun with ESL

A very good topic. I am owning a pair of Quad ESL's.
I am not sure how the ozone smells, but sometimes, when I leave it unplugged for a day, there is a very special smell coming out of the speakers.
Their panel and the dustcovers are so old, so maybe that's it.
I am not sure if it has any bad effect for my health or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.