Outdoor setup problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Zac, only the second link worked. The power supplies you were looking at are actually used for industrial control, probably wouldn't work to well (also why none were above 24v).
You can go in the direction of buying a prebuilt power supply, but it will be expensive. You are in need of a supply that can provide +50 and -50 at around 2A. It would be much cheaper to buy the components and build it yourself.

Son,

This is my last attempt to try to help. I'm gone after this post.

Ebay has a small Toa for auction. Its a 10 watt unit capable of doing the job you have in mind. Its ebay number is 7417854881 and its a BG 10. The starting price with no reserve is .99 I believe.
There is 15 hours left on the auction. I highly suggest that you listen to logic and reason and purchase this amplifier.

If their enclosure is too small tell them that adjustments will have to be made as this is what is necessary in order to do the job.

While not a perfect setup it will be able to use the audio from the headphone piece provided that it is close by. By close I'm talking a distance of 25' or so. If a longer run is needed a DA certainly would be in order. As mentioned a pad should be built to correct the impedance mismatch.

I can realize that you have a zest for exploring the unknown here and the desire to build something. I hope that you can understand where I am coming from. I also hope that a lesson will be learned in the future and that being to consult with those having the necessary experience and knowledge to provide information and possibly listening to the information before offering services without knowing the full costs involved. It unfortunately cost money to set up anything to do with sound.
The gereral public thinks that anything can be thrown together and it will magically work. There are times when you have to stand your ground and stand toe to toe with someone and let them know what is needed. Your space confines are totally unrealistic to say the least. They WILL amend this when they are enlightened by you telling them a bigger enclosure is needed.

I'm done...do what you want.

10 watts???

The lowest wattage outdoor speaker I have found is 35?

I know your frustration, "I am not trying to do that but I have t5o try to fit this to the customers specifications as best I can.

I am still considering that amp. Would it be able to run 2-4 35-40wat speakers?

Thanks,

Zac

P.S. I am not trying to explore, I will do that with my own audio...

Edit:

It also says "Sold As Is!"

Those are Bose 101 speakers, probably modified by bose to be self powered. They would be part of the commercial side of Bose and it's very possible the guy you talked to was on the residential side of the company. They were extremely popular for commercial installs in theme parks and the like for many years.
Certainly another contender for speakers although the connections used would not hold up or be safe for outdoor use in the rain.

Well that's the thing, I don't think they make them anymore. Any you find will be used. You may have a look around the bose commercial site and see if they are listed somwhere. Btw, here is a generic schematic for a bipolar power supply.

Attachments

• ps-rev3-sch.gif
    ps-rev3-sch.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 51
Well after months of looking and searching I did find out the Bose are no longer made.

I had a real hard time with this problem. I was almost ready to buy a few small car audio amps and transformers, but then I found these.

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/productDetails.asp?prodID=673

Now, I will reveiw my problem.

I have to do an outdoor setup. EVERYTHING has to be outside, including whatever powers the speakers. The ideal situation is to find powered outdoor speakers. However, speakers like this are not made anymore, or atleasty we thought.

Then I found the ones at the link above. In the information page it says "6.5" All Weather Design Speakers with Transformer"

If it says "with Transformer" then wouldn't that mean it IS powered? They can't sell something with a powersupply but nothing for the power supply to be used for?

I will call them tommorow and double check. Any thoughts on these speakers?

Thanks,
Zac

Considering your budget, your best choice would be buying all weather speakers and a small amp to go in an enclosure. All of the speakers previously mentioned would be a good choice.
Many manufacturers will sell modified versions of thier self-powered speakers for outdoor use but it costs $$$$.
Because this is for a city govt, does everything have to be new?

No, not new, but I may have to do more of these in the future so buying used equiptment isnt a great option... It would be hard to have the same consistent used equiptment if you know what I mean?

In other words, using different equiptment each time might look bad on me.

However my budget is now able to be flexible probably up to 5-600$ max. Although cheaper is better.

I would love to get my hands on a bulk deal of those Bose 151.

Zac

The bose 151's will do great, and they are still widely available. They have a newer version with three drivers instead of one as well. They are basically disposable speakers though, so don't expect them to survive more than a year of climate changes. The good news is that you can just throw a new driver in and your good for another year. The car amp is not a bad idea. The newer class d amps run pretty cool and sound ok for non critical applications. The catch with using car amps is you need a good, clean 12 - 13.5v power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.